1st Trimester

I think I need Ambien - anyone else on it?

I haven't slept well for weeks, and it's getting worse.  I go to bed early, but am up at least once an hour.  I am so exhausted by the time DD wakes up in the morning.  I end up in tears every morning b/c I have no energy to do anything, and I feel like an awful mommy.  I'm thinking of trying Ambien, which my Dr said was okay.

Anyone else on Ambien?  Does it help?  Any side effects?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I think I need Ambien - anyone else on it?

• I had horrible insomnia in my last pregnancy.  Dr would not prescribe anything for it but recommended I take Unisom (OTC)!  It worked like a charm!  Don't know if you have tried anything OTC but might be worth a look if you haven't!

GL - I know how missing out on your sleep sucks!

• I would try tylenol PM or unisom before Ambien. I'd only use Ambien as a last resort personally.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I take Unisom regularly because I always sleep like crap. I reserve Ambien for special situations, like when Lila started STTN but my body still wanted to wake up and feed her at 3am and couldn't go back to sleep. 5 nights of Ambien broke that habit.
  • Oops, maybe it's Unisom that the Dr. said was okay.  I need to check my sheet. 

Darn lack of sleep!

• Unisom should be OK (get the tabs--not the gelcap kind with diphenhydramine). I've used it a few times so far and it works well. I was already an insomniac thanks to my 13-month-old, who still wakes during the night, and it's been worse since my BFP. They actually prescribe the drug in Unisom for morning sickness in Canada, so it works for that, too! Ambien is actually OK for pregnancy. I think it's Category B, if I recall. Your OB may not want to prescribe it though--it is strong stuff!
  • I've been on Ambien for a year, at first I stopped when I got pregnant. But the doctor said its okay in moderation, but not in 3rd trimester in case I go into labor. So I take it about twice a month when I need sleep. Unisom works too, but not as well. Ambien will knock you out. If you do take it, go right to bed. FI and I used to try to stay up and we'd just be stupid on it.
  • I take Tylenol PM & make sure that I can devote 8-10 hours of sleep.I usually wake up feeling well rested!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am wondering what to do myself. I am miserable. I go to bed, wake up about 3 hours later...and lay there all night long. I will usually doze about an hour before I need to get up, and then I can't get up. I am super crabby. I was able to fight the tiredness yesterday, but to day I am worthless. Just woke up from a nap...droooooool all down my arm. Nice.

• When I was having nonproductive contractions with my DD the doc kept me in the hospital overnight and gave me Ambien.  I slept great.  Several months ago I was sick as a dog and needed a good nights rest so my regular doc said to go ahead and take half an Ambien to rest up and heal.  Turns out Ambien (even half a pill) knocks me practically unconscious.  I actually held a nonsensical conversation with DH, went to the restroom a couple times, and got up and vomited without remembering any of it the next morning.  No wonder I could sleep through the contractions!!!  If I were you I'd definitely give Unisom a try first, I can at least remember my actions on that! 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageTDKitty:
    Unisom should be OK (get the tabs--not the gelcap kind with diphenhydramine). I've used it a few times so far and it works well. I was already an insomniac thanks to my 13-month-old, who still wakes during the night, and it's been worse since my BFP. They actually prescribe the drug in Unisom for morning sickness in Canada, so it works for that, too! Ambien is actually OK for pregnancy. I think it's Category B, if I recall. Your OB may not want to prescribe it though--it is strong stuff!

diphenhydramine is just benadryl, whis is fine to take during pregnancy as well

• I've been taking Unisom at night for morning sickness. It's worth a try since it's OTC.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i am on ambien currently and i use it as needed. i find that using it only three to four times a week max helps instead of every night. until my body recognizes and starts producing the hormone that i need to help put me to sleep naturally. its a major drug so you might want to start slow with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"