Multiples
Options

Remind me of tips for the early days / weeks please

One of my close friends has 7 week old boys at home, born 6 weeks early (so only 1-2 wks adjusted.)  They had a few weeks in NICU but have been home for 2-3 weeks now.  She's drowning.  They have reflux, they don't sleep, they cry anytime they are put down, she's on her own all day while her DH works, and she's getting maybe 2-3 hours of sleep in 24 hours, and it's not consecutive.  I remember being in her shoes, but I don't remember how I got through.  She lives 2.5 hours from me, so it's not easy for me to just pick up and go to her place and hold the boys while she sleeps.  People  who are obviously not MoMs are telling her to sleep when they sleep, but any twin mom knows that's a joke.  I have sent her info on Miracle Blankets, HSHHC, and Happiest Baby on the Block.  But I feel like I must be forgetting some things as well.  Remind me of what helps you get through those early weeks, please...
Jenni ~~Alex & Avery ~~ 6/13/06~~Adam ~~3/26/08

Re: Remind me of tips for the early days / weeks please

• Options

When my DH went back to work, our LOs were 2 weeks old.  A vibrating bouncy seat, a swing, and the "vibrate/music" feature on our PNPs were my best friends! 

For the reflux, has your friend talked at all with her pediatrician?  Sometimes some meds help, or even something like slightly inclining the babies' mattresses might give them some relief. Has she tried any babywearing?

Also, I LOVED my dishwasher baskets so that any bottle parts could be washing while I was doing something else.  Medela microwave sterilizer bags were awesome for pump parts as well.  Anything that could complete a task for me was so welcome.

After 20 months TTC with PCOS, we were blessed with twins!
    They arrived at 36 weeks after PTL and bedrest for 14 weeks. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    imageimage
  • Options

- Sound machine/white noise- we still run a CD of ocean waves on repeat. They sleep SO much better with it than without.

- vibrating bouncy seats

- some days I'd rotate babies through the Moby- wearing them saved my sanity on more than 1 occasion

I didn't deal with reflux, so I can't offer any advice for that at all. I hope things start going better for her!

TTC#1 since Mar 2008. Serious MFI due to cancer. 3 cancelled IUI's, just about every test in the book. IVF#1 - BFP! Twin girls arrived 2/5/10 at 35w2d. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"