Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Types of bumpers (regular, breathable, wonder)

I can see the reasoning behind the breathable ones and the wonder bumpers look good as well, esp. for when they get older and start sitting up and standing.

What's your opinion?   Have you tried one or more?  Which are you planning to get for your LO and why? 

Re: Types of bumpers (regular, breathable, wonder)

• Options

We had regular bumpers and replaced them with breathable ones at 2-3 weeks.  DS likes to migrate to the sides of his crib and smush his face into them.  The breathable ones are fine for that but when he rolls into them, there isn't much padding.

We will probably go back to the regular ones at 6 months or later when he is really good at rolling both ways and the SIDS risk drops.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    not going with any- from what I've read babies can't really hurt themselves on the crib other than the occasional bruise- just not worth it to me. A lot of people get them just for the esthetics but I like my crib better without.
  • Options
    DD is six months and we just put a regular ol' bumper on yesterday.  I don't think there was any need for one when she was younger because she couldn't go anywhere.  Now that she's older, rolling and we've stopped swaddling, she can move all over.  Lately she's been rolling HARD into the sides with her head and has been getting her legs and arms stuck out between the slats.  I feel confident that she won't sleep with her face against it and is now big/strong enough to roll away from it as needed.  We'll see how things go once she's even bigger and can pull herself up.  My instinct tells me that we'll take it off then but I've learned that being a mom is mostly just figuring things out on the fly!  Just my two cents Smile
  • Options

I was a good mommy and put the bumpers from crib set away until after the 2nd time he cluncked his head against the rails hard enough to make a sound over the monitor loud enough to wake me from a sound sleep...and that was before he started screaming.  Once he started rolling out of control all over the place I was more concerned about the brain injury than suffocation.  In fact when he wakes up in the morning he likes to shove his arm under the bumpers and wave his hand around outside the crib.

So honestly I would wait and see what type of LO you have and if you need to worry more about thumping the head or shoving arms through the slats and getting stuck.  Maybe you won't need them at all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"