Infertility
Options

Have any of you taken Melatonin during IVF cycle or prior?

If so, did you take it while stimming or while on BCP?  What was the dosage?

https://www.ivfconnections.com/forums/content.php/588-What-Do-Egg-Quality-and-Sleep-Have-in-Common-Melatonin.

Press release - International Federation of Fertility Societies
Wednesday 15 September 2010

New research presented at the World Congress of Fertility and Sterility in Munich has found that treating women with the hormone melatonin may help improve the egg quality in IVF.

They confirmed this finding in mice, and noted that addition of melatonin seemed to reduce the damage to the egg caused by the presence of oxidising agents.

The group then initiated a trial with a group of women coming for IVF treatment at the Yamaguchi University Graduate School of Medicine. Women who had failed to become pregnant because of poor oocytes quality after one cycle of IVF were split into two groups; 56 women were given 3 mg of melatonin before the next IVF cycle, and 59 just received a standard IVF cycle without any melatonin.

Re: Have any of you taken Melatonin during IVF cycle or prior?

• Options
    Wow, that is super interesting! I've never been ordered to take it but I used to take it to help me sleep and stopped during IVF when I read that it can cause excess estrogen. Hmm, thanks for sharing! I did take DHEA up until egg retrieval this cycle; apparently that helps egg quality.
  • Options
    Sulfababy: Thanks for the DHEA information.  I'm going to do a little research. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Robert Greene, M.D. the SIRM RE in Northern California blogged about taking Melatonin during/prior to IVF cycles a month or so ago.  I wonder if not getting enough sleep was part of the reason my IVF #2 was so poor.  It is definitely something I intend to speak with my RE about.  That being said, I have tried taking just a fraction of the recommended amount and, if I don't get 8 or more hours of sleep afterward, I feel hungover in the morning.  So, I am not sure if I would be able to make it through an entire cycle taking 3 mg a day!

Good luck!

imageimage

~SAIF/PAIF/Everyone Welcome~ 

Me= 37 and DH = 41 

Dx: DOR, Endo, APA+ (really high beta 2 glycoprotein antibody and high everything else tested), heterozygous MTHFR mutation, positive for lupus anticoagulant, high FSH, low AMH and both tubes blocked (per HSG on 3/8/11)

IVF #1 - long lupron (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 4 retrieved, 3 fertilized; ET 2 blasts and 1 frozen = BFN

IVF #2 - a version of antagonist with EPP (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 2 blasts and 1 frozen blast transferred on day 5 = BFN.

IVF #3 April was postponed to May, May was canceled. June/July was canceled. Had a cyst aspiration and then began IVF #3 in August. ER on 8/22; ET on 8/24 with AH. +HPT on 9/5. Beta #1 (11dpo) = 3; Beta #2 (15dpo) = 29; Beta #3 (17dpo) = 60; Beta #4 (19 dpo) = 118. Heartbeat at 6 weeks 6 days =132.  Lil is here!

TTC#2:  Trigger + TI = BFN; Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN.

IVF #4:  BCP + MDLF + Lovenox = 7R, 1F = Transferred 1 6-cell embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #5:  MDLF + Lovenox = 4R, 1F = Transferred 1 10-cell compacting embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #6:  (New RE):  Long Antagonist November 2014 (transferred two 8 cell grade 1 embryos and froze one blast) = BFN

FET#1:  BFN

• Options
    I am taking it now. We'll see how my next cycle goes in February...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

STL34: Thanks for responidng.  Good luck to you this coming year.

MikeandAngie:  Are you taking Melatonin during BCP or are you currently stimming?  Thanks.

• Options
    image~HopeAndFaith~:

MikeandAngie:  Are you taking Melatonin during BCP or are you currently stimming?  Thanks.

No, I am taking it just during my break cycles. I will stop all supplements once we begin stimming. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am currently taking Melatonin.  I've been on 3mg for the last month.  Curious to hear when others plan on stop taking them. 

Unless I hear otherwise. my plan is to continue taking the 3mg while on BCP and then sometime during the transition from BCP to Lupron I am going to switch to 1mg.  Sort of just wean myself off of them slowly.   Once I move to stims I plan to quit all OTC meds.  Except of course my prenatal and folic acid.

TTC #1 since 9/07
    Dx MFI, AMA, Endo, AMH .16
    Lap 10/09 Removed endometrioma, stage IV endo and adhesions
    Lap 2/10 Endometrioma cysts & adhesions returned.
    Ivf #1 4/10 Antagonist, ET Cancelled.
    IVF #2 2/11 A/ACP+E2V C/P
    IVF #3 6/11 Letrozole/Antagonist BFN
    IVF #4 11/11 Low stim Antagonist BFN
    Lap 3/12 Lap & Selective HSG
    Many cycles of Letrozole and LP HCG w/TI and LDN
    IVF #5 8/12 Low stim BFN
    IUI #1 10/12 BFN br> S&PAIFW
  • Options

imagesulfababy:
    Wow, that is super interesting! I've never been ordered to take it but I used to take it to help me sleep and stopped during IVF when I read that it can cause excess estrogen. Hmm, thanks for sharing! I did take DHEA up until egg retrieval this cycle; apparently that helps egg quality.

Be careful of DHEA b/c it might not be right for everyone.  It's a hormone and your body converts it to estrogen which is then converted to testosterone.  It would not be good for PCOSers who already have excess testosterone.

TTC in 2008. Stage II/III endo, Hashimotos hypothyroid, low morph (3%).
    2 cycles Clomid/Ovidrel/TI/Crinone=BFN.
    IUI #1 - 4 Follistim/Ovidrel/IUI/Crinone = BFN.
    IVF #1 - Antagonist w/ ICSI 4/10. 17 retrieved, 5DT of 2, BFN :(
    IVF #2 - Long Lupron w/ ICSI 6/10. 15 retrieved, 3DT of 2, BFFN!!
    Lap 7/21/10
    IVF #3 - Clomid/Antagonist w/ ICSI 10/10. 14 retreived, 3DT of 3, BFP 10/20 but m/c. No HB 11/15/10 - D&C 11/17/10.
    FET - 2 blasts, 1 survived the thaw. Transfer 2/19. Beta #1 3/1 375, Beta #2 3/3 885, Beta #3 3/8 4261, Beta #4 3/11 9005. U/S 3/8 1 sac 1 yolk, U/S 3/16 1 heartbeat 114bpm!

James born Oct. 24th 2011 via c-section at 38 weeks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP - Jack born April 28, 2013 via VBAC after PTL at 33 1/2 weeks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Feeling lazy so I'm just going to post a link, but be careful with DHEA and definitely get the approval of your RE.

In the study, melatonin was taken for the month prior to the stim month ONLY, and I remember reading that is not recommended for long term use.

It was discussed earlier on the board, if you do some digging.

+++
  • Options

Interesting. I had always heard and read that Melatonin affected fertility negatively.

TTC #1 since June 2008 *SAIFW*

TI, IUIs, IVF = c/ps and BFNs

• Options
    imagepatchen30:

imagesulfababy:

Be careful of DHEA b/c it might not be right for everyone.  It's a hormone and your body converts it to estrogen which is then converted to testosterone.  It would not be good for PCOSers who already have excess testosterone.

Yes, of course! Sorry, I should have added that it was approved by my doc. 

• Options
    imagemadelyn07:

Interesting. I had always heard and read that Melatonin affected fertility negatively.

I have read/been told this too!!  That's why i have gotten rid of what i had!

Jennifer TTC #1 Dx PCOS 2009 Apr, Aug, and Sept tried clomid cycles.... BFN. Oct...DH SA results were normal. Me...HSG - left tube was clear, right tube was slightly blocked. Dec - Clomid #4 200mg Feb 2010 - IUI #1 200mg Clomid = BFN. June 2010 - IUI #2 200mg Clomid = BFN. March 2011 - IUI #3 w/ injectables = BFN (1st & last with RE, moving on to IVF). July 2011 - consult for IVF. Sept 2011, 1st IVF. Got our BFP on 10/2/11. Became a mom on 5/5/12 to a beautiful baby boy! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Yes.  I had two rounds of failed IVF before I went on 3 miligrams of melatonin.  My endocrinologist put me on the melatonin to reset my sleep cycle.  I was on it for about 6 months before I did the final round of IVF.  I was 46 and the doctor almost wouldn't let me because "I was too old".  My response was what is the worst that will happen nothing, oh wait like nothing happened the first two rounds.

The last round was my best round.  My 4 eggs were put back in where as the 2nd round my 4 eggs all failed in the petri dish. Unfortunately two days before the pregnancy test the eggs didn't take but I believe the melatonin helped my eggs.  After that I ended up having two small fibroids from the fertility on my uterous.  They were removed and I did a detox through a nutritionist.  At 47 I ended up getting pregnant naturally and gave birth to my daughter on July 2, 2013.  I believe the combination of the melatonin, the detox, and the scraping of my uterous, which provided a fresh layer was the perfect storm for getting pregnant.  The fertility clinic told me I wouldn't get pregnant because I was too old.
  • Options

I took melatonin last cycle and am taking it this cycle because I have been experiencing crazy insomnia (Last night I got about 3 hours of sleep).  My nurse gave the ok for melatonin and sleep aids (only before ET) last cycle.  As far as helping egg quality, I can't testify to that experience.  I only had 6R, 5M, 3F and no embies made it to transfer.

I am hoping that once I switch from lupron to ganirelix (next week before my baseline), that my insomnia will let up and I can discontinue the melatonin.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Options
    Please be very careful with melatonin as you aren't supposed to take it at all if you are taking any thyroid meds, which a lot of us are for fertility reasons. It can raise your tsh levels and cause other problems.
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • Options
    I looked into this very thing because I have taken melatonin for years... Apparently it also boosts our estrogen levels.... So I figured i could use all the help I can get.... Plus I love sleeping so winner winner
    Me: 38
    DX:  Adenomyosis, Compounded MTHFR, PAI-1 4G variant

DH: 34
    MFI due to Testicular Cancer

Married March 2012 <3
    IVF w/ICSI #1
    10 little polar bears
    FET #1 with 2 polar bears ~Nov 6, 2013 BFN :(
    FET # 2 with 2 more polar bears ~March 19, 2014 BFP!!!
    Beta 1= 276
    Beta 2= 662
    4/19/14 ~ baby A became an angel
    5/02/14 ~ baby B became an angel
    5/3/14 ~ D&C
    FET #3 with 1 male polar bear ~October 3, 2014
    October 13, 2014 ~ BFN
    Fur Children:  Memphis 3y, Dutch 3y, Marcel 2y, Meadow 1y

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    January 2015 Siggy Challenge TTCAL
    Animals Interacting with Snow

This discussion has been closed.