Blended Families
Options

How much trouble do you think we will get in for this one??? (Long)

So if you recall me & DH have a long-distance parenting schedule with SS10. This year being an even year we got to have him for winter break. We normally meet halfway when doing exchanges (which is a 5 hr one way drive for both) however this year BM calls and says that she is coming up to her parents so we can pick SS10 up from there. Wonderful (its only about a 1-1/2 hr one way drive from us to there).

So when DH goes to pick him up, BM asks for money for the trip since we didnt have to drive all the way. DH tells her to put it in writing and send him an email and that he would send her a check. (We've obviously been in court for a lot of years and have learned to get everything in writing, regardless of how insignificant it seems) BM gets all mad and says to SS10 "well it looks like we are not going to be able to buy what we wanted to now" and storms off into the house. DH asks his son what they were going to buy and tells him that if he needed something we will get it for him, but SS10 says that he has no idea what she's talking about.

So we've had him since the 22nd, with things going relatively smoothly. Then last night BM calls and says that now we have to take SS10 all the way home (a 20 hr round trip drive) since she came all the way up. We did not agree to this ahead of time. Its not like we can just do the whole 20 hour drive without getting a hotel room and being gone for 2 days. DH tells her that we are not driving the whole way and that we will meet her halfway like we always do at 2pm on Sunday. They proceed to argue and he says if you are not there at the meeting place I'm bringing him back home with me. I told him to send her an email confirming the time & place to meet on Sunday so that we had it in writing already, but what do you guys think? Are we obligated to take him all the way home? I think she is just mad that we wouldnt hand her over the cash and that she will come to pick her child up at the halfway point, but If she doesnt meet us is my DH going to have a kidnapping charge on him?

Re: How much trouble do you think we will get in for this one??? (Long)

• Options

What does the CO say?  Does is specifiy that each parent drives halfway?

I'd DEFINITELY e-mail her and say something along the lines of:

"Per our conversation at drop off, please provide me a request in writing and I will reimburse you for half of your travel to drop off SS.  Also, per our phone conversation on X date, I will be bringing SS to X drop off point at 2pm on Sunday."

If the CO specifies that she has to drive halfway and she DOESN'T pick up SS, I'd bring him home and then make a report with the police (just to back your DH up).  I don't think he can be charged with kidnapping if she voluntarily does not come to get her child.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wouldn't just keep him and keep working on BM meeting you half way. The question is why does she think he owes her anything?!?!?! She was going to her moms anyway I assume since it is the holidays. It just so happened to work out for you guys. Maybe offer to meet her an hour closer to her home but that is as far as I would go. I am not sure why she thinks she should be paid????

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageNikkiJ19:

I wouldn't just keep him and keep working on BM meeting you half way. The question is why does she think he owes her anything?!?!?! She was going to her moms anyway I assume since it is the holidays. It just so happened to work out for you guys. Maybe offer to meet her an hour closer to her home but that is as far as I would go. I am not sure why she thinks she should be paid????

This is what I said as well. When we voluntarily make the whole trip to see SS10 for extra time we never ask her to help us pay for our travel expenses. But since it was our time and she made the trip (yes to see her parents for the holidays) she feels like we should pay her.

The CO is vague and just says "the cost of transportation shall be divided equally between the parties".

• Options

You shouldn't pay her a dime.

And in your shoes, I would just tell her she has two choices. She can either meet you halfway like normal, or you'll come drop off the boy, but then she'll be hearing from your attorney so that you can modify the CO to include more details about pick ups and drop offs.

AND, if you have to bring the boy all the way home, you'll be billing her for half your transportation per the CO. 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    imageNikkiJ19:

This.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 11/23/10 MMC @ 7w3d Discovered @ 10w2d D&C 1/12/11

BFP 7/6/11 Our Lucky Charm born 3/5/12
  • Options
    imageslprice79:
    imageNikkiJ19:

This is what I said as well. When we voluntarily make the whole trip to see SS10 for extra time we never ask her to help us pay for our travel expenses. But since it was our time and she made the trip (yes to see her parents for the holidays) she feels like we should pay her.

The CO is vague and just says "the cost of transportation shall be divided equally between the parties".

Looks like the CO only states she is responsible to pay only half of the transportation cost. Not that she is actually responsible for the transportation itself.  She doesn't have to meet you half way like she has been doing.

Extra time is just that EXTRA its outside of the CO visitation and most likley she is not  responsible to pay for that either.

Your DH should have asked if she wanted to be reimbursed since she was making the trip regardless of what she was making it for.  She may have only made the trip thinking she would be reimbursed even though she was going to her parents house. 

You assumed that she would be willing to pay for the trip there and now want her to pay for half of the trip to get SS back. You shouldnt be that upset since you never worked out the details from the beginning.

• Options
    imagetifanico:
    imagedreamstravgirl:
    imageslprice79:
    imageNikkiJ19:

Looks like the CO only states she is responsible to pay only half of the transportation cost. Not that she is actually responsible for the transportation itself.  She doesn't have to meet you half way like she has been doing.

Extra time is just that EXTRA its outside of the CO visitation and most likley she is not  responsible to pay for that either.

Your DH should have asked if she wanted to be reimbursed since she was making the trip regardless of what she was making it for.  She may have only made the trip thinking she would be reimbursed even though she was going to her parents house. 

You assumed that she would be willing to pay for the trip there and now want her to pay for half of the trip to get SS back. You shouldnt be that upset since you never worked out the details from the beginning.

SHE was the one who changed the pick up place, SHE should have been clear about all this details and should have contacted you guys with enough time in advance to work things out. 

Im sorry but she is being unreasonable here. 

I agree with Tif that she is being unreasonable but I think OP has a point about the rest, even though she changed the pick up details according to the c/o she should be reinbursed for 1/2...it sucks that she is being like this but it is still the c/o.  And according to the c/o it does not state who drives or where the pickup is so the father is responsible for getting the child home - I surely would not want to drive half-way to find out she is not there then drive all the way home and have to either drive half-way or all the way back a second day especially since the child would be missing school if he is not home for Monday. 

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options

The wording of the CO is not good. Too much room for error there. That said, If you have to drive all the way back (and stay in a hotel) then wouldn't she be responsible for 1/2 the cost as well?

I think you were in the right to ask that she email you or provide receipts for her travel to properly reimburse her. I would not blindly hand over money. But she did not drive the child all the way to your house so you should not have to drive the child all the way back to hers. I agree with making arrangements to meet closer to her house.

~Amy
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your opinions. I would definitely rather pay her for her coming most of the way up then make the whole drive back AND we never said we wouldnt pay her we just asked for her to put it in writing which she still has not done. She also has not responded to our confirmation email about meeting Sunday and the time. We do need to figure it out ahead of time though because as someone said we dont want SS10 missing school just because his parents cant agree on anything. I dont know whats going to happen, I'm sure I will have an update post with another problem come Sunday lol.
  • Options

Did BM show up on Sunday?

• Options
    Yes, but we also ended up giving her money for her trip up as well so that she would. We are also supposed to have SS10 again for Martin Luther King Day for the weekend and we are trying to keep the peace so that she meets us halfway for that pick up and drop off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"