3rd Trimester

home depot or lowes, where did you get your low VOC paint?

And how much did it cost?  Do you prefer Home Depot or Lowes?  Going today to get our room paint but not sure which store has the better paint.

Thanks~

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: home depot or lowes, where did you get your low VOC paint?

• We got ours at Lowes. The only one they have is Olympic (at least at our store). If I remember correctly, it was somewhere around 25.00 a gallon. The color is great though, and it is actually no VOC.. even better :)
  • I prefer Home Depot because I prefer Behr paint. I've done a countless amount of painting and this seems to cover the best.  My DH picked it up and got the paint and primer in one the stuff was amazing!  It's the lowest VOC they make without no VOCs.  I think it was 25-27 a gallon, we only needed a gallon and a 1/2 to do the nursery and honestly we would of been good with the one gallon, we just used the other to do touch ups.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I replied on the March board, but I second the recommendation for Olympic Premium at Lowe's. It's zero-VOC. Good luck!
    Jimmie, mama to Zoey (March 2011)
    Losses 5/13, 8/13, and 3/14. 
    Expecting another GIRL! Carter Grace due on 12/25.

• Just an FYI...the Olympic BASE at Lowe's is no-VOC...once you add colorant, it is no longer VOC free.  So, the darker the color, the more VOCs. Most paints out there now are like that unless you go with paints that have no VOC colorants...Sherwin Williams has a line of no VOC tints.  Mythic is another line of no VOC.  They are out there, but a bit more costly.  HD also has FreshAire no VOC paint, but the colors are very limited and somewhat muted, so it's a bit harder to find a color.

I used a Martha Stewart color from HD.  The base was no VOC and the color is a light purple.  The paint still has an odor, but it is nowhere near a paint fume smell.   It was more like a kids craft paint smell.   I painted with the window open.  I left the room when I was done and closed the door.  When I went in a few hours later, I couldn't smell anything.  I have always used Behr paint and was pleasantly surprised with how the Martha Stewart paint covered.

• imageLolaCook:

Just an FYI...the Olympic BASE at Lowe's is no-VOC...once you add colorant, it is no longer VOC free.  So, the darker the color, the more VOCs. Most paints out there now are like that unless you go with paints that have no VOC colorants...Sherwin Williams has a line of no VOC tints.  Mythic is another line of no VOC.  They are out there, but a bit more costly.  HD also has FreshAire no VOC paint, but the colors are very limited and somewhat muted, so it's a bit harder to find a color.

I used a Martha Stewart color from HD.  The base was no VOC and the color is a light purple.  The paint still has an odor, but it is nowhere near a paint fume smell.   It was more like a kids craft paint smell.   I painted with the window open.  I left the room when I was done and closed the door.  When I went in a few hours later, I couldn't smell anything.  I have always used Behr paint and was pleasantly surprised with how the Martha Stewart paint covered.

Actually, according to the Lowe's website, the colorants are also zero-VOC. Maybe they recently changed it?

p
  • My dad's a contractor and I've grown up to be a bit of a hardware store snob. I don't like lowes or HD and I prefer Benjamin Moore paint, which I don't think is sold at either- at least not in my area.  I went to the local hardware store and got the BM Natura paint (no VOC.) You can get it in any color and it is literally odor free. It's a bit more pricey though- about $50/ gal.
  • thanks for the info ladies!  i guess it's good that i'm getting a very light pink/fushia color!  DH will be painting the room, but this room is for my 5 year old to share with the baby, so I will still be going in there often!!!!

thanks!

• I went to Lowes and got the premium Valspar. It coated wonderfully as I was too lazy to use primer and did a pretty dramatic color change. I compare the regular paint to skim milk and the premium to whole milk in consistancy and coating. I usually cheap out but this time spending a little more was definitely worth it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"