Alabama Babies
Options

Glucose Test

Mine is scheduled for January 20th...not looking forward to it. Any advise on what to expect?

Thanks!!

Erin~N~Gregg 6/30/07 Project 365 imageCafeMom Tickers

Re: Glucose Test

• Options
    I had to do the 3 hour one so trust me when I say drink the stuff as quickly as possible. Try to treat it like a shot.
  • Options

Since we go to the same practice and I doubt it's changed much in a year I can tell you pretty much how it went.  

I went in there, the nurse gave me this orange really cold really sugary drink told me I had to drink it in (I can't remember exactly) but either 3 minutes or 5 minutes.  I went out to the waiting room for an hour, then they called me back and drew blood. I felt a little sick after the hour was up, but as soon as I got some food in me the sick feeling went away, although I didn't really feel very great the rest of the day. 

Dr. Purvis had told me they ideally wanted me to fast, but if I felt like fasting would make me puke then I could eat something like plain toast or something equally bland.  I didn't eat, but I also hadn't been sick over the pregnancy.  

If they don't call you then you'll find out your results at your next appointment.  Don't worry if you have to take the 3 hour they will notify you within a day or so of your glucose test, because they want you to do the 3 hour pretty quickly after wards.  I can't tell you what the 3 hour is like though since I passed the 1 hour.  So basically if you don't hear anything you can assume you passed and he'll tell you your level at the next appointment.  

It's really not that bad.  The drink tasted like the orange drink I used to get with happy meals at McDonald's as a kid.  And it was really cold which helped.  It's about 10oz's worth, and you have to drink it all without throwing up.  If you get sick they'll make you retest on another day.  

What time is your appointment?  Mine was early in the morning so it wasn't too bad of a wait.  Good luck, you'll do fine :)  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks Candi!! Dr. P told me basically the same thing. My appointment is at 830 and I took off that day. He's already not happy with my work making me stand on my feet for longer than what he has written my excuse for. So he told me to take off. He's been super wonderful to me since my job is being difficult about some things. After seeing my feet the other day and how they were swelling when I had been standing he was about ready to take me off of work until I had the baby. (My job is basically a desk job.)

Dr P also said we would talk about the hospital and how I wanted things to go.

Erin~N~Gregg 6/30/07 Project 365 imageCafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    imageErin&Gregg07:

Thanks Candi!! Dr. P told me basically the same thing. My appointment is at 830 and I took off that day. He's already not happy with my work making me stand on my feet for longer than what he has written my excuse for. So he told me to take off. He's been super wonderful to me since my job is being difficult about some things. After seeing my feet the other day and how they were swelling when I had been standing he was about ready to take me off of work until I had the baby. (My job is basically a desk job.)

Dr P also said we would talk about the hospital and how I wanted things to go.

Yep he's an awesome doctor :)  Actually I like all of them, but him and Keller are my two faves!  

I'm sorry work has been so sucky for you...that's crazy that they make you stand so much if you have basically a desk job.

• Options
    Good Luck, Erin!  The 1 hour really isn't that bad, I'm sure you'll do fine.  Just be sure to bring a good book, sitting in the waiting area is bo-ring!
  • Options
    Good luck on it! The drink is really not that bad if the nurse has it super cold.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    If you can fast, just do it-I did and had an early appointment as well. I didn't end up feeling sick at all. I thought it tasted like  Sunkist at first but just got stuck in my throat. Not great, but definitely not that bad either! I expected it to be worse.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My dr just has us drink a coke and eat a candy bar so I can't relate to the drink part but I have heard go limit carb intake (high protein diet) for a day or so before the test. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"