Northern California Babies
Options

Breastfeeding and surgery

I have to have ear surgery in a couple of weeks.  I currently don't know how long I am not supposed to breastfeed, but I am hoping it is no longer than two days.  I barely have a freezer supply and I am trying to pump at least three ounces a day until the surgery.  I am not big on pain meds, so I will probably decline them.

Has anyone ever had surgery while breastfeeding?  I am so scared that my supply will tank.  I am actually thinking of postponing until Britton is weaned, but my dh is strongly against that.

Also, how much milk(ounces) should I have available for her?  She is 7 1/2 months old and I have no idea how much she drinks in a day.  Also, how often should I pump after the surgery?

TIA!

Re: Breastfeeding and surgery

• Options
    I am no help but just wanted to say good luck on your surgery!!!
  • Options

The chart my doctor gave me says at 7 months babies normally consume between 26 and 36 oz.

I just looked back at EJ's eating and it was 30-32 for him.

I don't know if that helps.

As for the surgery, it depends on if you go under or are awake during surgery because they use different kinds of meds and the amounts travel through your system at different rates.  Your surgeon should be able to tell you specifics.  Also, depending upon the level of pain they foresee you to be in after the surgery they can curtail your meds post op to your wishes for breastfeeding (when I had hip surgery they asked about BF because there is no way I could have for about 2 weeks due to the meds they had me on for infections, pain, etc, but had  been breastfeeding they could have shortened it to .5-1 week by giving me different meds).

I dunno if that helps... 

Happy Takes Work A family blog.
    Money Matters The other half's blog.
    EJ is growing up too fast!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Is there any way you can make it down to Day One for the free BFing support group? The LC there is amazing and I bet she can help you with lots of your questions.

No other advice but good luck on the surgery.

• Options

DD was only eating about 10 - 15 oz at 7.5 months, but I don't think that's typical. 

I'd recommend pumping an extra session in the morning after she eats and do another session or two during the day from now till then.

Good luck!

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"