Houston Babies

Garbarino and Wilber no longer doing hospital rounds

I just called to set up a prenatal consultation with both Dr. Garbarino and Dr. Wilber, since I've read great things about them on this board, as well as my neighborhood board. The receptionist let me know that they are no longer going to the hospital when the baby is born to check on them. The baby would just be seen by the hospitalist on staff and then come to Garbarino or Wilber for the first appointment. 

Is this something that I should be worried about, or is it not a big deal? LO's kidney's are still enlarged and from what I've read, we'll have to do some early testing. I have an appt with Dr. Bobo today, so I'll ask her as well. Just wanted to know how important it was for other mom's to have your actual pedi at the hospital.

TIA! 

DD born March 2011
DS born Dec 10, 2013

Re: Garbarino and Wilber no longer doing hospital rounds

• Both of my kids were just checked by the hospital pedis and seen by their pedis after release home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When DD was born we weren't using Dr. Wilber yet (we saw Dr. Alley with Fannin Pediatrics at first, then switched at 4 months to be closer to home). But we left the hospital on a weekend so some random on-call doctor saw her. We saw Dr. Alley for the first time at her 2 week checkup. It was fine.

I work in a hospital, and it's very common for all types of patients to be seen by a different physician (usually in the same practice but not always) depending on who is on call. It really doesn't make a difference, as long as someone sees her.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Belle was born on Friday night of the Memorial day weekend.  we were seen by the hospital pedi on duty on saturday, and then they came back on Sunday for a quick check to discharge us from the hospital.  Since she was so small they scheduled us for an appointment that Wed instead of a week later, so that Wednesday visit was the first time we actualy met our pediatrician.

didn't bother me.

big sister, little brother
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersbr> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • ours came in twice to see dd, but since she was in the nicu he had no say in anything because the attendings are in charge there. he was just coming to visit because it was on his way.

i wouldn't be concerned. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We just saw the pedi at the hospital (also Dr. Alley) since I delivered far from home . Then he recommended we go to our local pedi the day after we got home since she had a slight case of jaundice.

It was no biggie.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks ladies! Dr. Bobo said the same thing - no biggie. :)
    DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
  • I haven't read the other posts but this wasn't a big deal to me. Our pedi doesn't have privileges at Methodist anyway so DD just saw the pedi there. We took DD to see her pedi two days after we left the hospital and then at two weeks so no worries.
  • Is anybody else reading the name Garbarino and thinking of Vinnie Barbarino?
  • Mine have both seen the hospital pedi and this one will as well.

The only problem we ran into: the pedi that saw Micah wasn't covered on our insurance.  We couldn't have known this, but we ended up paying for it out of pocket (read: not cheap).  I'm not exactly sure how to remedy this situation, as we will have to do the same with this one, but just a heads up.

• imageNanner:
    Is anybody else reading the name Garbarino and thinking of Vinnie Barbarino?

No, but when we go visit her next time I will totally think of that.  Thanks.  All the more reason for M to call her "Dr. G."

@Laura - I don't read over here and didn't know H's kidney's are enlarged.  You didn't say anything the other night - is she doing better?

"If you can't say something nice, shut the hell up!"
    - Paula Deen to 104.1 KRBE's Producer Eric 9/17/2011
  • imageM&M614:

Mine have both seen the hospital pedi and this one will as well.

The only problem we ran into: the pedi that saw Micah wasn't covered on our insurance.  We couldn't have known this, but we ended up paying for it out of pocket (read: not cheap).  I'm not exactly sure how to remedy this situation, as we will have to do the same with this one, but just a heads up.

We delivered at Women's, and while my pedi did have privilages, on our tour of the hospital, they told us if they didn't have privilages, we had to (were required to?) appoint a hospital pedi beforehand to check out the baby.  I am guessing that's a way you can be sure that they are on your insurance.  Can you ask G & W or Bobo to see if they have a rec of someone who works at the hospital you are delivering at?

• Good point about the insurance thing... I'll check. Dr. Bobo said that Baylor Neonatal would come to check on the baby. Same thing was said at our hospital tour on Saturday. It actually probably makes more sense - to have a hospitalist who sees newborns all day come check her out, rather than a pedi who spends most of their time in a clinic setting.

MB - yeah, it stresses me out a lot, so I don't talk about it much. :( Bobo and the Peri both assure me that this isn't a big deal, just something to watch, etc. But its still hard not to worry. 

DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"