Houston Babies

Moving to milk/weaning from bottle?

I can't for the life of me remember how we did this with Kaitlyn. lol

I am having the hardest time getting Samantha to drink something other than formula (unless it's something she doesn't need from one of our cups) AND getting her to take something other than a bottle from me.  When she is with my MIL, she won't drink formula (although that might have something to do with them moving to pre-made, rather than powder) and won't drink out of a bottle.  She'll drink milk, from a cup. (not a sippy)

She was only getting 2 bottles a day, but she's had a cold and very obviously has not been feeling well so she's wanted nothing but a bottle and I've given in.  She eats food, but still wants her bottles.  

However, even before this she *would not* take a sippy cup from me.  She won't really drink from a cup either.  Maybe two sips and that's it.  Once you go from a bottle do they not get that much at a sitting anymore?  I really cannot remember from Kaitlyn (which is quite sad lol).  

Once she's over this cold, should I just go cold turkey and get rid of all bottles?  (this is normally my approach, but I guess being the last baby, I'm having a hard time doing this. lol) 

~*~Jenn~*~

Re: Moving to milk/weaning from bottle?

• No help here as I'm wondering what we'll do with Eden.  I remember the transition for Gideon being fairly easy, but I anticipate Eden will be a bit more challenging.  I think going cold turkey is risky, maybe keep one bottle for night time as kind of soothing/comfort for Sam before bed?  I can't tell you how much I'm so ready to get rid of bottles and pricey formula, though. 
    image Oh Joy to the World!!
  • Hah I came in here hoping one of y'all had some great advice. I am SO ready to be done pumping and done with bottles.  I *hope* to replace Cooper's daytime bottles w/ whole milk this week so I don't have to take my pump when I go back to work next week.  I've already introduced cows milk and he'll drink it and seems to like it and he's great with a sippy but I'm still a little gunshy about taking the bottles away.  

Today is an experiment, he went to school with one bottle and one sippy of milk and we'll see how he does.  Next week we may just go cold turkey at school.   But I plan to keep nursing at night/in the morning so we'll see...

My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have now completely transitioned DD to whole milk in a sippy.  We discussed it with her pedi and she recommended just going cold turkey dropping all bottles and going to sippys. It was REALLY hard for me to drop that night time bottle rocking her to sleep.  I told DH I needed one last night "for closure" and then the next day just went cold turkey and packed up all the bottles.  DD was fine with no bottles and drinking out of the sippy.  It was much harder for me to get rid of all the bottles :(

We added an ounce a day to each feeding replacing whole milk instead of formula. She became extremely constipated so I slowed it down and transitioned her over a 2 week period.  I have been very careful to make sure she has plenty of fiber in her diet so the constipation doesn't happen again.  She's now totally on whole milk. 

As for the sippy cups, DD will ONLY take the Nuby ones and the Playtex ones (which is odd because they are completely different).  I got her some of the straw ones and the Munchkin ones that are basically the same as the Nuby ones and she was NOT having it!!

Good luck!!  I know it's hard.  

• C has no problem with a sippy cup (or a straw cup, for that matter), but wants nothing to do with whole milk.  I'm not rushing to wean him, but I started trying to introduce whole milk 3 weeks ago by offering it at meals, and he's just not having it.  He'll usually take a sip or two, let most of it run down his chin once he figures out what it is, and then gets aggravated until I give him his water cup (which he chugs). 

I have no clue what to do about it.  I've tried every different cup we have, I even brought out a bottle (which we haven't used in ages) and put milk in it.  Nada.  I tried sweetening it a little (per my mom's suggestion).  Nope.  There was one day early last week where he actually drank a noticeable amount of milk (as in, a few ounces), but that's been it.  He wants no part of it and I don't know how to change that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"