Hawaii Babies
Options

dumb bath question (plus poll, if you're in a clicking mood)

For those who bathe their LOs in a "big kid" bath (i.e., the regular ole bathtub), what do you use on the bottom of the tub to keep them from slipping? We have some little applique things that I ordered online, but I didn't realize that they have suction cup feet and they keep suddenly sliding when the boys - they're too small to hold up to all the squirming.

So now I'm tossing up between getting the stick-on appliques, like this (or possibly a different design):

Or just a big non-slip mat like this:

I think the crocodile is cuter, but I'd have to pull it up once a week or whatever and clean the suction cups so it wouldn't get moldy, plus it doesn't have even bath coverage.

That said, the stick-on appliques would probably be a PITA to remove when we eventually sell our house (we figure we have another 4-5 years here).  

[Poll]

Re: dumb bath question (plus poll, if you're in a clicking mood)

• Options
    We have that crocodile! It stays put and seems to help LO stay steady when he takes a big boy bath... though usually he's in the eurobath.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i voted for the crocodile.  I think you probably do have to have something & I wouldn't want the stickers that are kind of permanent.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You know, I have the same question, so I'd love to see the results here. One question...are the appliques even removable and/or have you tried to remove them elsewhere before? I'm just wondering how easy/hard it really is because I personally prefer not to clean the suction mat everyday to keep it from getting moldy.

Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • Options

We just bought a good ole $12 clear mat with little bubbles in it from Target. It works pretty well and we take it off every time we clean the tub. We clean the mat then remove it and clean the tub underneath, it's not a big deal really. Oh I found it but have no idea how to PIP :) The one thing I would say is that I wish it was a little longer than it is because Bella is a mover and a shaker! 

https://www.target.com/Small-Bubble-Bath-Mat-Clear/dp/B001L1OMBA/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=bath mat&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-16&qid=1293632685&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Small Bubble Bath Mat Clear&node=1038576|1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin,price,target_com_primary_color-bin,target_com_size-bin,target_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

• Options
    We used a mat with suction cups when we were little. I don't remember anyone doing anything special to clean it. We'd just remove it after every bath and drape it over the side of the tub, face down (suction up) to let it dry...?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageinamra:

One question...are the appliques even removable and/or have you tried to remove them elsewhere before?

No, I'm too nervous to try. I do remember my grandmother having some and they wouldn't come off no matter what (she had them for like 15 years!) but I don't know if they've changed since then. 

imageSanHawaii08:
    We used a mat with suction cups when we were little. I don't remember anyone doing anything special to clean it. We'd just remove it after every bath and drape it over the side of the tub, face down (suction up) to let it dry...?

This is a much simpler idea than leaving it there and cleaning it once a week - I might just do this! I know this is probably a silly question but does removing it daily kinda wear the suction cups out or is it OK?

• Options

the alligator is cute but I would l but something clear like Sara posted just since it would be in my master bath.

actually, I just put a handtowel in the bottom of the tub for a little more traction and then let Jack figure things out himself.  Also, our issue is more that he likes to stand up or crawl around so I doubt a non slip surface would really matter. 

• Options
    imageMauiWedding08:

the alligator is cute but I would l but something clear like Sara posted just since it would be in my master bath.

actually, I just put a handtowel in the bottom of the tub for a little more traction and then let Jack figure things out himself.  Also, our issue is more that he likes to stand up or crawl around so I doubt a non slip surface would really matter. 

They have their own bathroom, so the kid design doesn't bother me (well, technically it's the guest bath but since we no longer have a guest bedroom it's become all theirs lol). Totally agree that I'd go with something more grown up/neutral for a master bath though!

I'd thought about a hand towel (another friend of mine recommended this), but what they really like to do is try to scoot around on their butts so I don't think it would offer enough traction. Sad

• Options
    imageredshoegirl:

imageSanHawaii08:

This is a much simpler idea than leaving it there and cleaning it once a week - I might just do this! I know this is probably a silly question but does removing it daily kinda wear the suction cups out or is it OK?

hrm, i think it'd depend on the quality of the mat?  if the rubber(?) is cheap or too thin, it might rip/dry out?  i think as long as the suction cups stay intact and supple, it should stick, right?  I don't remember it ever being a problem... Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"