Postpartum Depression

New to board

Hello all. Im the mother of a beautiful 5 month old girl and have suffered from depression and anxiety for 5 years and unfortunately, despite attempting to prevent it, postpartum depression too. I took prozac for many years and tried other meds over the 5 years with prozac working the best. Right before we conceived, I switched to celexa and a low dosage so that I could hopefully stay on my meds while pregnant. We got pregnant quickly after being told I would not be able to conceive and my OB told me to stop taking my meds. I did fine until the third tri and at that point I was having a lot of anxiety issues, weepiness and insomnia (insomnia was always my biggest issue when i first was diagnosed). I went back on a low dose of prozac for the remainder of the pregnancy and felt great even after she was born other than the first few days of baby blues and hormone letdown. Then around 3 months old, she stopped sleeping well and that led to me not sleeping well and it spiraled down from there.

I made an appointment with my OB to get my annual and discuss that my dosage wasnt working and he had me double my prozac dosage for a month. That has not worked and if anything made me cry more, feel more worthless, and its getting to the point where i have out of control apathy towards others. I can barely even fake happiness or interest in others. I wouldnt say Im suicidal but i have had fleeting thoughts that i dismiss. And because Im trying to lose weight, food isnt my comfort so I turn to spending money which is not good either. Today I called my dr and now we are going to try zoloft for a month and see if that works. I am nervous about switching meds but I hope I can switch without too many side effects. Right now the double dosage of prozac makes for upset tummy and anorgasmia which is HORRIBLE!!!!!!

Im looking into insurance options with therapy too. I cant keep burdening my husband with my negative thoughts and feelings 24/7. Thanks for listening and I cant wait to get better. Im just glad it hasnt affected my feelings toward my daughter. She really is the only thing keeping me going and why i want to get more help.

Re: New to board

• I'm glad you are looking into other options!  Let's hope the zoloft helps, and keep your head up.  Let us know how things go!  Good luck!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"