January 2011 Moms
Options

Teacher Dilemma - WWYD?

I am an elementary school teacher and our winter break is over on Monday.  I'm due on Thursday, but so far I've had no progress and am assuming that my little dude will be joining us later rather than sooner.  I had planned on just staying home and using my sick days until maternity leave kicks in, but I'm wondering if that's still a good idea since nothing seems to be happening down there.  I have PLENTY of sick days, I could stay home all year if I really wanted to, so that's not an issue.  I guess I'm concerned that I'll be too bored or if he's super late then that's just a lot of sitting around.  I wouldn't be induced until 42 weeks.  If it came to that, it would be an extra 3 weeks of sitting around at home!

So if you're a teacher, or if you're not and just have an opinion - what would you do?

Re: Teacher Dilemma - WWYD?

• Options

I worked up until my water broke with DS and plan to work until I pop with this one too.  They both were/are due close to winter break, so it's been nice having some down time, but I want to save my days for when the LO is actually here.

Kudos you get the rest of the year off....I just get until April.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Stay home!  I am a teacher and I've been off since 36 weeks.  Sounds like we have different experiences at work though.  I get so exhausted and cranky with my middle schoolers!  Also, I can always find stuff around the house to do so I don't get bored I love it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm due Friday the 7th and I will not be going back on the 3rd for many reasons. One, I'm not terribly comfortable and not sleeping so functioning in my classroom might not be pretty. Two, I don't think my freshmen boys need to see any part of my labor (though it might be good birth control!) I wouldn't be induced until 42 weeks either, but I'm willing to take the risk so I can try to be comfortable at home. Kudos to those who work until they go into labor, but honestly my heart wasn't in it before I left for the holiday break. I can't imagine going back now. My sub is ready to roll on the 3rd. Good luck! I have to get my note from my doc tomorrow.
  • Options
    If you feel up to working, I say keep working.  I'd personally rather use the time once the baby is born.  If you're worn down and can afford the extra time off (which you said you had plenty of time to take), then I don't see the harm in staying home. 
  • Options

I've been home since 11/5 and I'm not at all bored. I take frequent naps and always have stuff to do around the house. Plus TLC is great from like 1 to 3 with "A Baby Story" and "Brining Home Baby!"

But if you have the energy and you feel there's nothing to really do at home, then go for it and head back to work. If you feel after day #1 you aren't really into it, then you can still take your sick time after that. Give it a shot. 

• Options
    imageshabby:
    I'm due Friday the 7th and I will not be going back on the 3rd for many reasons. One, I'm not terribly comfortable and not sleeping so functioning in my classroom might not be pretty. Two, I don't think my freshmen boys need to see any part of my labor (though it might be good birth control!) I wouldn't be induced until 42 weeks either, but I'm willing to take the risk so I can try to be comfortable at home. Kudos to those who work until they go into labor, but honestly my heart wasn't in it before I left for the holiday break. I can't imagine going back now. My sub is ready to roll on the 3rd. Good luck! I have to get my note from my doc tomorrow.
    I think it would certainly drill in the motto "No glove, no love!"
  • Options
    I'm not due until the 17th, but I'm not going back after the winter break.  Well, I am on Monday, b/c it's a teacher work day, and I don't want to use a paid day off on a day with no kids in the building, LOL, but my leave is starting on Tuesday.  This is mostly b/c I'm being induced early for medical reasons, sometime between the 6th & the 13th, and will likely have to see the doc 2x or more a week starting next week.  Now that I'm at this point, though, I couldn't be happier about it - like pp, I'm not sleeping well, which would be BAD with my high schoolers, and I'm just generally uncomfortable.  It's so much nicer to be able to be home & get some stuff done, too.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMrsLynnyD:

I've been home since 11/5 and I'm not at all bored. I take frequent naps and always have stuff to do around the house. Plus TLC is great from like 1 to 3 with "A Baby Story" and "Brining Home Baby!"

But if you have the energy and you feel there's nothing to really do at home, then go for it and head back to work. If you feel after day #1 you aren't really into it, then you can still take your sick time after that. Give it a shot. 

Ok, now I am jealous and rethinking working until I pop.  My doctor did say she'd write me a note...hmmm....

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Well I am a teacher and I don't have nearly as many sick days as you have apparently.  I have 20 days total left for the year and those have to cover my maternity leave because STD doesn't cover me until 30 days after baby is born.  If I could leave early I would probably do that.  I am going to have to work until I go into labor. 

In the end it comes down to how you feel.  Do you feel good enough to keep up with your class all day?  Then go for it.  If you don't feel good enough to keep up with your classes then stay home and enjoy the last days of rest and pure relaxation.  (as much as you can relax as you excitedly wait for your LO!!!)

• Options
    imageallobosc:
    imageMrsLynnyD:

Ok, now I am jealous and rethinking working until I pop.  My doctor did say she'd write me a note...hmmm....

Get the note! Best decision I made!!
  • Options

I'm due Feb 5th and I'm heading back to work next monday.  If it becomes too much then I'll stay home.  I'd like the distraction at work, but I'm not sure I'm up to all the movement!

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I'm not a teacher, so I can't speak to that specific situation...

But I have been forced out of work four weeks early due to high blood pressure and it's awful.  Literally, all there is to do is sit around and wait to go into labor.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

If I had my choice, I'd work until I was in labor or physically unable to work.

ETA: I'm insanely jealous of the above posters who say they have plenty to do at home.  I'm on modified bedrest, so I'm not supposed to do much, but even if I weren't I have no idea what I'd do.  The baby's room is done.  Everything is ready.  There's only so much TV I can stand to watch in a day.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Options
    I am home this week on holiday break and I'm bored out of my mind.  Everything is done and I'm just waiting to go into labor.  I am going back to work on Monday (I teach 6th grade) and I'll have my sub with me all week to get acclimated to my classroom.  I scheduled my last day for 1/7 (I'm due 1/14), but I almost wish I'd said I'd work up until I go into labor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks ladies!  I have my sub all lined up and ready to go and my district is super nice about the days leading up to the birth.  We can take as much time as we want before the birth as long as we have enough sick days.  Our union rep said to stay home if we have a case of the waddles.  I also got my students to a really good stopping/starting point with everything we are learning about, so everything's set up perfectly.  I'm just so bored already while on break with DH working!  We don't have cable, so I've been wasting a lot of time on the internet!!

I agree that my heart wasn't really in it at the end of break, and I'm not sure that I'll be able to keep up with my K-2 kids anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"