Minnesota Babies
Options

Any thoughts on United Hospital?

My doctor is at the Allina Medical Clinic in Woodbury and says that they do all deliveries at the United Hospital in St. Paul, but I haven't heard much about the birthing center there... Just looking for some feedback! Thank you =)

Re: Any thoughts on United Hospital?

• Options
    I work in healthcare in the metro and I've heard really good things about United. They are one of the biggest maternity wards in the metro and it can get a bit busy there but I think if I lived in the cities I would go there or to St. Joes. United is connected to Childrens hosp. It has a phenomenal NICU should the need arise. I used to do medical transports for them. The company I worked for would pick up a team of nurses and docs from there and fly or drive out to smaller hospitals and pick up sick babies and moms and bring them back to United/Childrens for advanced care. The hosp that I am delivering at is an Allina hosp and they work with United and Childrens if things become to complex for my smaller hospital. 

It would give me a lot of comfort to deliver there because they have top of the line physicians and pediatricians if anything were to go wrong. I know that they would be able to take care of just about anything. 

I don't know any specifics about the birth center but I bet if you looked at the hospital website it would tell you what the hospital does and does not offer in terms of birthing options. HTH 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have never been in the birth center at United, but I was hospitalized there once for kidney pain and my nurses were absolutely awful. Not just rude but incompetent. I don't know how the maternity nurses are. I just know that the ones I dealt with almost killed me because they forgot to put an oxygen monitor on me when I was getting morphine. So that was my only experience with United.

My husband is a physician who works at United, St. John's, St. Joseph's, and Woodwinds. He says that St. Joseph's is the best place to have a baby in St. Paul and that they have the best nurses.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had both our boys at United. With the NICU there, I wouldn't go anywhere else. Both of my experiences were great.
  • Options
    Really late on this one, but I had a great experience there.  I was dead set on delivering at St. John's, but my insurance doesn't cover that hospital.  After doing some research on United I was very comfortable with going there.  We did the birth class and the BF class there which where awesome.  When I had my son all of the nurses were amazing.  I would recommend United to everyone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My Dr. delivers at united. He said it is one of the best hospitals to deliver in around the area. Plus...childrens is connected to it. I am excited to be in such an awesome place!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I delivered my youngest son at United and I had a great experience! Good luck!
  • Options

I absolutely loved United Hospital!  My over all experience was exceptional.  I was in labor for 24hrs and all the nurses I had were great.  They also have wonderful lactation consultants onsite who are very helpful!  My last night at the hospital my nurse ordered me a complementary massage!  I can not say enough about United! 

Another thing to remember is United is connected to Children?s which really put my mind at ease.

• Options
    I'm also trying to decided where to deliver.  This is my first baby so I don't know all the details or what I'd even prefer given the differences.  United Hospital looks good, but I'm also looking at Regions Hospital (also in downtown St. Paul) because they also offer Certified Midwives every step of the way, from prenatal services to delivery.  From what I've heard, it's nice to have a midwife because they provide more specialized help and more time with you than a doctor alone.  Thoughts on this? 
  • Options

Nancie213

I understand where you are coming from because I actually had always had my mind set on using a midwife.  My friend used a midwife for her kids and actualy was lucky enough to have the same midwife deliver all 3 of her kids.  She went to a fairly small practice with several midwives.  It's called Generations Womens Helathcare they deliver at St. John's & St. Joe's (St. Joseph).  I think it is pretty true that you do get more indivualized attention

But based on my age, and expeeince having worked for Children's Hosptials in Minneapolis for the last 5 years (including Special Care Nursery) I have decided to forgo a midwife to deliver at United or Abbott (both use Children's NICU's).  A big part of it for me is the NICU's in case they are needed and because I'd hate to be someplace further away and have my baby have to be transfered to a level 3 NICU (like CHildren's) and not be able to be near my newborn baby.  Like if you have a c-section & doctors won't release you yet for your health & your abby is 30-60  minutes away.  They have cameras to help in those situations but since it's an option I'ds ratehr avoid that senario is possible. 

I'm actually leaning towards United because their NICU has all private rooms, you can stay there, there is one unit from 1st arrival in NICU to discharge and the maternity ward is basically across the hall from the NICU.  In Minneapolis (at Abbott Northwestern AKA ANW) the NICU is quite a ways from the maternity ward & even the level 2 nursery (Special Care) is on another floor.   BUT ANW and the nurseries there & at Children's in Minneapolis are excellent.  They do lots of high risk deliveries including multiples.  I think United does too but not sure if they do as "high risk" stuff as in Minneapolis.  That might be a good question to ask if you were considering it.

St. John's, St. Joe's, Fairview and HCMC (& North Memorial too I think) also use midwives.  It's a bummer that United & Abbott (ANW) don't have midwives do deliveries but I guess that part of my ideal pregancy & delivery is something I am willing to miss out on.  I'm strongly considering a doula to have that close personal attention and still be able to have my baby at the facility I feel most comfortable with.  They also are usually very helpful with newborn issue such as breastfeeding.  I've found some good books with info at the library.  Though I think that coverage for their costs isn't usually coveraeg by insurance.  But I think it is an extra cost I'm willing to pay.

FYI I know that my decision is totally biased based on working for Chidlren's in the environment I do.  I've seen all sorts of crazy things during my nursing career & have become quite "skittish" and more aware of possible complications than the avaerage mom-to-be.

• Options

This is not the most important thing to consider when choosing where to deliver, but I took a tour of United's birth center two nights ago and was not impressed with the physical environment. Everything seemed grungy and most of the rooms were small. There are 7 birthing rooms that are separate from the rest of the unit that seemed slightly bigger but there is no guarantee you would get one of those, unless they give priority to people who actually have insurance or something. There are no bathtubs or showers in the individual rooms. So if you have a long labor and want to relax in the water you get to go to a shower room behind the nurses' station.

I will be touring the other area hospitals soon and am curious to see how they measure up.

But again, I think the quality of the staff is much more important and am not sure about that since I haven't delivered there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"