Natural Birth
Options

Second-timers: Preparation?

Anyone here planning on going natural the second time around? What are you doing to prepare?

We took a natural childbirth class at the hospital last time. I have a Bradley book from a friend that I plan on reading through, and I think it would be good for DH and I to set aside regular time to practice breathing and positions and whatnot. I just worry that we won't be diligent about it.

missed miscarriage began 04/08, ended 07/08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Second-timers: Preparation?

• Options
    I didn't have a NB with DS, but I will with this one. My primary preparation is knowing that I have to do it, because epidurals don't work (completely) on me, and delivery with DS was hell and made worse by the restrictions from the epi. I have read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, which I plan to read a couple more times before DD arrives. I may re-read the Bradley book. My plan is mostly just to go with what my body wants this time, and since I've done it once I feel much more confident that I know what I'm getting into.
  • Options

The first time I just took the childbirth prep class at the hospital and read a few books.

The second time I just read some books, namely Ina May Gaskin's books and since I was delivering at a birth center that time I knew I didn't have to worry so much about all the crap hospitals do and I knew I would be able to listen to my body 100% with no interference. 

I think even if you aren't super diligent about it, you've done it before so you will be fine. 

Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's BECAUSE I've done it before that I want to make sure I'm super prepared! haha! I was induced last time (which I know some don't consider that natural, but it was necessary due to low fluid and I went without pain medication). I've heard that induced contractions are a lot worse than ones that start on their own (I have nothing to compare it to), but I had a really hard time focusing through the pain last time.
    missed miscarriage began 04/08, ended 07/08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    we took bradley classes last time, so I plan on re-reading the books and practicing the exercises and techniques.  yes, I do worry about not having the same kind of time and energy to prepare, but I'm just going to try and do the best that I can.  my friend who had two natural births says that one of the things that really helped see her through the second time around was the knowledge that she had done this before...so she knew she could do it again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrs.Greeko:

The first time I just took the childbirth prep class at the hospital and read a few books.

The second time I just read some books, namely Ina May Gaskin's books and since I was delivering at a birth center that time I knew I didn't have to worry so much about all the crap hospitals do and I knew I would be able to listen to my body 100% with no interference. 

I think even if you aren't super diligent about it, you've done it before so you will be fine. 

Same here- delivering a birth center will hopefully mean I can have tons of support from the staff around me and no restrictions or interference with what my body is trying to tell me to do. Last time I was induced aka strapped to the bed the entire time! Im hoping for a natural smooth birth this time. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    I read Ina May's book for positive stories.  I choose midwives I trusted, then I left the rest up to my body and my baby.  it went splendidly!!  Preparing for the homebirth helped too (gathering the supplies) as it made me actively think about the birth.
  • Options
    We're doing a Bradley refresher with a friend who is an instructor. Also hiring a doula this time.
  • Options
    I only read books last time and that's all I'm doing this time as well.
    Eliza 
    Married to a pharmacist
    Mother of two boys, three girls, and one more little boy on the way!
    Two time miscarriage survivor.
    So happy to be expecting our sixth child in August 2017!

Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

First time was medicated with some unfavorable results (maternal fever, NICU, and breastfeeding failure)

So second time, I wanted to go natural.  DH can't go to classes (he's a surgical resident, he works ALL THE TIME) Hired a doula and read Dr. Sears "The Birth Book," and hoped to labor at home for most of it before heading to the hospital.  Went 42w1d and had the quickest labor ever, DS was almost born in the car.

This time, just reading and feeling more confident because of having done it once.

Like you said, if you withstood pit contractions with no pain meds the first time around, your second will probably be much easier.  Do try to stay home for a while if you can, it's so much more relaxing.

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageaggiemeg:

Like you said, if you withstood pit contractions with no pain meds the first time around, your second will probably be much easier.  Do try to stay home for a while if you can, it's so much more relaxing.

I definitely plan to stay home as long as possible, but thanks for confirming that it's more relaxing! DH and I were just talking last night about how this is going to be soooo different this time. WE are going to be the ones deciding when it's time to go to the hospital. He's like, "we'll be able to relax more and distract you with games or TV or whatever." I can't even imagine what it'll be like to not have back-to-back contractions for 24 hours...

• Options
    I had a successful med free birth with DS. This time I am studying hypnobabies (absolutely love it so far), but it is definitely something you have to be diligent about and practice every day to get the full benefits. I also plan on laboring at home much longer than with my first.
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • Options

My plan is to get as fit as I can before my next pregnancy and to maintain some fitness through my pregnancy. Walking, doing yoga etc.

I don't know if it will make the birth/recovery easier but I'll be interested to see.

I know lots of people who say the second birth is quicker but more intense, so I'm just psyching myself up for more pain. But I didn't do anything special the first time beyond talk to my midwife about my aims, and to do some online reading. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    Going NB again, no doubt! Need to go dig out my awesome HypnoBabies home study course materials again. We are also thinking about going with a MW this time. I LOVE my OB/GYN, but one of his partners makes me so mad that I don;t want to risk getting stuck with him. Other than that, now that I am a consultant fo doTERRA therapeutic grade essential oils, I am going to be incorporating more of those into my pregnancy and labor. I am also considering buying a "ball with legs". I loved the one we practiced with, but DD came so fast I didn't get to use it last time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"