Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

If you are 35+ weeks pregnant and have a toddler?

How are you managing right now? I am just completely exhausted and feel like I can't get anything done. I'm also a stay at home mom. We don't really go anywhere at this point by ourselves (just me and DD) because it is just too much. My doctor told me that I shouldn't be lifting anymore than 10 lbs. including DD. Right now I'm just trying to get cleaned up from Christmas and I'm not getting very far. I've been having a lot of lower back pain and swelling in my feet so that doesn't help. We also have 3 dogs (1 is a rescue that my husband found and we are trying to find her a home) that I feel like I am constantly cleaning up after. They keep getting the floor all wet when they come in from outside (we got snow) and the rescue has been having a lot of accidents. I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. DH hasn't been much help, unfortunately. He works full time and I stay home and he seems to be of the mentality that everything inside the house is my responsibility. I'm evening having a hard time gettin him to give DD a bath for me since I can't bend over the tub a this point. He does it, but not without grief...ugh. Ok, sorry I'm done venting, but please tell me I'm not the only one in this situation. Thanks!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you are 35+ weeks pregnant and have a toddler?

• Options

Not there now, but was there 2 years ago.  Kids are 18 months apart.  I actually found having a newborn and a toddler easier than being 35+ weeks pregnant and having a toddler.  I remember my back pain was so great I could barely walk.  At the grocery store people would ask if I was in labour all the time.  :P

Vent away.  Some things will get easier when the baby comes, some things will get harder.  All part of parenthood.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    I feel ya! I was just there three months ago.  My OB told me to take it easy but it's not too easy when you have a toddler.  DD wasn't even 100% walking when I was 35 weeks so she had to be carried A LOT!  Just try to find games where you can sit on the floor and have her play with you or sit at the table and color.  Luckily, I was hugely pregnant in the summer so I could go outside and sit on a chair while she played on her swing set or splashed in the baby pool.  I had to have DH start putting her to bed because my belly got in the way of bending over the crib.  Just do what you can and if you have a dirty house then you have a dirty house......it's better than going in to labor and having a preemie.  Just remember that you only have a few weeks left!  Good Luck Big Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel ya! I was just there three months ago.  My OB told me to take it easy but it's not too easy when you have a toddler.  DD wasn't even 100% walking when I was 35 weeks so she had to be carried A LOT!  Just try to find games where you can sit on the floor and have her play with you or sit at the table and color.  Luckily, I was hugely pregnant in the summer so I could go outside and sit on a chair while she played on her swing set or splashed in the baby pool.  I had to have DH start putting her to bed because my belly got in the way of bending over the crib.  Just do what you can and if you have a dirty house then you have a dirty house......it's better than going in to labor and having a preemie.  Just remember that you only have a few weeks left!  Good Luck Big Smile
  • Options
  • Options

I rest a lot. I am home most of the time (although I have a very part time job) and honestly, I spend more time than I care to admit laying on the couch while DS plays with his toys. We've even watched a decent amount of tv in the past few weeks. Luckily my DS is still napping 2-3 times a day which is really helpful.

I've never heard the weight restrictions-I was walking my 24lb DS in my arms for 15 minutes straight in the doctor's office this morning because he was overtired and wanted a nap while we were waiting for an appointment.

In terms of baths, I haven't done one in a month. I hand DS off to DH in the shower in the morning every other day and he washes him. DS seems to love the shower and giggles a lot, and DH likes the time in the morning. That might be a good option if your DH is complaining since it's much quicker than bathtime.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It's tiring! I do things also I shouldn't be doing like painting my toddler's room, but I'm in full nesting mode and just can't wait for DH to get around to it. But, I make sure then to compensate with a lot of rest that night.

I am starting to feel a little strain when I lift DS, so I try to redirect his attention when he wants to be picked up. It works sometimes. I'm not in a rush though, because I've read here many-a-times that somethings get easier when baby it out of belly and then other things are harder. I'm just trying to hang in there. 

• Options
    I was there 14 months ago. My OB placed me on modified bed rest at 30 weeks pregnant with DS2 and I am a SAHM. That was pretty difficult to manage with a toddler running around, but we made it work. Towards the end, DH just had to pick up the slack. I was told to limit my activity to "necessary things only," so housework was out of the question. DS1 brought me his toys while I hung out on the couch and we played together that way. DS2 weighed nearly 12 pounds at birth, so I know all too well about that uncomfortable last month. I could barely walk myself. The pressure on my pelvis was excruciating. But anyways, in answer to your question, you just do what you can do. Perhaps you could hire someone to clean your house for you right before baby comes?  If not, enlist the help of friends/family.  Most people would be willing to help--you just have to be comfortable with asking. 
    Samuel Gregory-born 2/28/08 at 35w,5d due to severe pre-e and HELLP. 6lbs, 12 oz, 19 inches. Elijah Robert-born 11/23/09 at 38w,5d. 11 pounds, 10 ounces, 21.5 inches. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers <a href="http://s740.photobucket.com/albums/xx46/carlyn_mcclelland/Facebook/Cover Photos/?action=view
  • Options

I'm sure this isn't the best time to say this considering you're so pregnant and all, but that husband of yours is a complete ass and you deserve better.  Every post about him makes me want to go kick him in his boys and me smack you in the head for thinking you should stay and keep getting treated like dirt.

Sorry, but it had to be said.  You and your children deserve better.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"