Maryland Babies

Potty training?

How old was your LO when you started to introduce potty training? 

Re: Potty training?

• DD started asking about using the potty and showing a real interest in it around 18 months.  We bought a travel potty seat and some inserts and just talked about regularly, let her sit on the potty if she wanted (she peed occassionally), but no pressure about.  They have been working on it at school for several months - which basically means they talk about it regularly and give everybody a chance to use the potty several times a day, but agaiin no pressure.  In the last few weeks, DD has started telling when she needs to poop and the last few days has been telling me when she needs to pee.  I bought some pull ups a few days ago and I think I will try them out this weekend adn see how she does. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • 18 months, but she didn't catch on until she was past 3. We cloth diapered and everything, and she was slow to pick it up. She peed in the potty at 18 months, but she was sensitive to noises so it was really really hard for her to deal with the toilet flushing, and it wasn't until 3 1/2 or so she was okay with public bathrooms and the noise from them.  We also didn't use pull ups or anything, we went straight from diapers to underwear, she only had a few accidents at home, but nothing happened in public.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We bought a little potty and put it in the bathroom when DD was young- a little after a year old.  We were in Ikea and it was $4 so we figured we might as well grab one.  I had heard stories of kids being "afraid" of the potty so I wanted to introduce it early.  She peed on it for the first time at 16 months but it was really random- gradually she started doing it more frequently and we began rewarding her successes with an M&M.  When she turned 2 she was probably peeing on the potty at least once a day.  I didn't want to push the process because I was really pregnant at the time and I was afraid of regression and I HATED dealing w/ the potty-training of the little boy I watch (he would only sit on the potty seat on the big toilet, not the potty seat and he didn't tell me when he needed to go so it was a physically demanding thing- espec. w/ a 30 lb kid when I was 30 wks pregnant.)

When DS was about a month old (so DD was 26/27 months old) she basically "trained" herself -she started telling us all of the time, so we ditched the diapers and put her in short dresses w/ no underwear and put a small potty in whatever room she was in.  Before she started playing or watching a TV show we would ask her where she would go pee, she would tell us the potty and we would ask her what color the potty was (we have 4 little potties- one now lives in the car) so she would identify the potty.  That way if she got the feeling she would know where to go.  A lot of kids have accidents because they are too busy/engrossed in playing.  So we made her focus on the potty before she got too into any activity.  She only had 1 or 2 accidents that were the result of her being too into playing tea party or not stopping play in time to make it to the potty. 

After a week of her going commando we added big girl pants to the equation.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Thanks guys.  I think I'm going to pick one up and just have it around the house to start introducing it to her.  I don't want to force the issue but would like to get her use to the idea sooner rather than later.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"