Two Under 2
Options

What kind of reaction did you get?

I just told my parents today about the new baby. DD and this baby will be a little over a year apart. I really had no idea what to expect. My dad seemed pretty excited, as did my mom...but my mom's response was definitely more of an "OMG, dd#1 is going to be just walking, getting into everything when this LO is born..." etc. I think that kind of response makes me even more nervous! (Even thought I'm already well aware of what it's probably going to be like, and have thought it through many times).

I guess that kind of response just seems like a bit of a downer. I know I shouldn't let it bother me, it just does a little bit.

Re: What kind of reaction did you get?

• Options
    I kinda got the same reaction from some people when I told them. Another mom on this board told me a Dr. Suess quote that made me feel better. "Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." It made me feel a lot better. I was really freaked out about it at first, but it is amazing how many people you will meet that will tell you it can be done, because they have done it. Good Luck, I am sure your mother will come around when the shock wears off. 
  • Options
    Family was all mostly surprised, so they didn't really say much, which is awkward enough because you don't know what they're thinking. But whatever. We're excited! And I don't think your mom was being a downer. She was probably just verbally processing, you know? I'm sure they're thrilled for you.
    missed miscarriage began 04/08, ended 07/08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I got a similar reaction from family-excitement but some comments about how difficult it will be. I just shrug them off. It's difficult no matter when you add a 2nd and although there are some challenges that are specific to a close age gap there are also things that are easier as well.

In terms of having a LO is walking and into everything, it's really not so bad. As long as you have a good sized space full of toys that is babyproofed and safe for LO to play and explore it's fine. Going to other people's houses that don't have kids/doctor's offices can sometimes be challenging, but at home it's pretty easy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Both of my parents were excited. 
    My FIL was thrilled.
    My MIL's first response was "Am I supposed to be happy about this news?"
    (c) Holly Aprecio Photography - Oct 2011

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My parents were both excited.

My in-laws said we were 'crazy' and were not going to offer their baby-sitting services any longer on the nights my husband and I went to small group.

Aloisia Sofia (35 weeks) 08/05/09 || Rosemarie (Romy) Elisabeth (32 weeks 6 days) 01/23/11.
  • Options

My close family and friends were thrilled because DD was IVF and they know how long it took to get her (2 years, 2 losses, etc).  So to get a surprise pregnancy so quickly was a huge blessing and thankfully they all realized that.

People who don't know my history (not-so-close friends, extended family, etc) had some of the more shocked, apprehensive, or just downright negative reactions.  I can't tell you how many times in public when someone saw my pregnant belly and my little girl that I got the "wow...  you didn't waste any time" that I wanted to shout at them my fertility and loss history so they would realize what jerk they were being.  If they thought I was some boppy fertile mertile who was totally oblivious to the challenges of concieving and moreso delivering a healthy baby they were DEAD WRONG. 

I learned that you can't judge a book by it's cover. 

• Options
    Don't let it bother you, there's always going to be that one person w/ says something dumb.
    Our miracle IVF baby - D 6/09 & J - Surprise! born 9/10!!!
  • Options
    imageJustDandy:

My parents were both excited.

My in-laws said we were 'crazy'

This.  The first thing my MIL said was that she was not going to watch this baby.  SIL said we were f-ing crazy.  So sweet. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    My parents were happy, but my brother and sister have the same age difference (18 months) so my mom knew it was going to be tough and she told me so. My IL's aren't happy and haven't asked us anything about this new baby, nor do they care when we tell them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"