Pregnant after 35
Options

Happy news

Last week I had my first trimester screening with genetic counseling. First, a tip. Always go to your ultrasounds with a full bladder. Nobody told me this. The sonographers will thank you and you'll be glad since you'll get better pictures. Anyway, I was scared and nervous after my OB/GYN insisted I get this done.

I talked to a genetic counselor about the risks I faced. I am very lucky to come from a family of very healthy, hearty people who have no trouble conceiving and live to ripe old ages. Many of my grandparents and greats lived to be over 90 and plenty over 100. We don't have a lot of disease in my family. I had some concerns because I have one aunt who gave birth to two mentally-challenged sons, but I learned her husband has more risk on his side, so that is likely where it came from. In the end, Iet them take several vials of my blood and basically "map" my DNA for potential issues.

This morning I got the call: everything looked good. My risks were so low that they were comparable to the average 23-year-old woman. The doctors also said my trans nuchal test came back clear which means my baby has a miniscule risk of Downs Syndrome. I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief!

I have decided not to have any further testing that is invasive based on these results. The doctors agree that there is little to worry over; I would like to avoid anything that may result in miscarriage.

I'll be 42 when my baby is born. I am so happy to know that all the good and positive feelings I've had since learning I was pregnant are for a good reason: I am likely going to have a healthy baby and my age is less of a factor than feared.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Happy news

• Options

Congrats!  It's such a relief to get this good news (at our age - I'm 40 - it sort of feels like playing genetic roulette)!  Your appointment sounds much like mine, great news from the blood work and scan, except I drank too much water before going in and had to beg them to let me partially empty my bladder twice... I shouldn't have had 24 oz... for my small bladder it was overfull! 

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

• Options

awesome news indeed!  I'm sure it feels as though a weight has been lifted (I know the feeling!)

Enjoy the remainder with that much less worry!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    AWESOME news indeed! I am completely amazed how fast you got results. I had to wait 4 weeks and now another 2-3 weeks for final results for the 18 week. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thank you, everyone! I live in Baltimore and my docs are all at Johns Hopkins Hospital--the number one hospital in the country. I was also impressed the results came back so fast considering that it was right before Christmas.

I know plenty of us didn't plan to get pregnant at this late stage of our fertility life, but I am so glad that I am pregnant. I am even happier to learn that everything is good so far. I am hoping the same for all of you! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"