Special Needs
Options

How to find a pedi

I'd like to find a developmental pedi to check DS out.  He's been through testing with the school and was mildly delayed across the board for most things, severely for toileting and a year in speech.  He's started preschool before the holiday break and goes back in a couple weeks.  I still believe that he's got something going on more than the school addresses because I did the testing after he turned three.I still think there are some sensory things going on.  I've filled out the worksheets already to take with.  I checked my provider website and it says that there's no one anywhere near here that is covered.  So, I guess this will be out of pocket.  How do I go about finding one though?  I live in a very small town now so resources are limited.  Should I just ask the regular pedi for a rec? FWIW, he does well in treating DS when we've had to go in but it's still a struggle.  And it's going to be rough going again for awhile because DS recently had an illness that required a big shot in his butt and we're back at extreme fear again.  He did well for the first time in months with his previous two visits.

Re: How to find a pedi

• Options

Hey Sapphyr,

I' d ask your pedi for a referral. If he can't help you out I'd call the nearest children's hospital. I know my pedi gives referrals to developmental pedis. I live in a small city (~138,000) and know of at least 1 dev. pedi in my town. Good luck!

• Options
    image-auntie-:

I'm confused.

How can a three be severely delayed in toileting? Speech I get, but toileting?

Most school districts don't put a lot of work into sensory issues since they are mandated to work on educational issues and it's a rare child whose SPD is significant enough to make an impact educationally, especially early on.

Most people travel to find a dev pedi unless they live in a large metropolitan area with a top notch pediatric facility. You could call them directly for a referal or you could ask your pedi.

I don't know how they came up with their criteria for the toileting but they said he's severely delayed there. But there's only one other three year old in his class at the school (which is a special needs school). So, he's the only one in diapers and he won't let them change him when he poops. He's deathly afraid of the bathroom and no amount of talking about the potty for the past year has made it any easier. I just talk a little at a time as well. I've been talking to him for the past week about a hair cut and said we'll try scissors this time instead of clippers and he said he'll let me try those.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our children's hospital gave us the run-around because DS already has a neurologist-- they feel that that is enough, and that we should let other kids have the dev pedi appts. :(
  • Options
    Do you have insurance? Go to their website and search for developmental pediatrician. They cannot deny paying for this (can be 2nd opinion or whatever). If none are listed, call and see if someone at the insurance company has a different list. If not, see if they will cover an out of network dev pedi.
  • Options
    imageSobachka:
    Do you have insurance? Go to their website and search for developmental pediatrician. They cannot deny paying for this (can be 2nd opinion or whatever). If none are listed, call and see if someone at the insurance company has a different list. If not, see if they will cover an out of network dev pedi.
    I got the number of a developmental pedi from our regular pedi office today and called them.  They took my insurance info and are going to find out what's covered for me an call me back on Monday.  My insurance covers very little from what I understand but I could be wrong.  We had to give up Tricare, which covered way more, with DH's new job. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"