Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Succumbed to the D&C

Had another ultrasound.  Sac was still there (had moved to the top of my cervix) but still there.  Opted for a D&C today with a doctor I don't even know. I must be desperate.  My doctor called it a "suction" D&C and said it's less invasive than scraping.  Anyone heard of this? It still sounds awful.  She said there should be minimal bleeding except within the first 24hrs and not much cramping.  I am hoping this will be ok. I am terrified of course. I have never had surgery, even outpatient, of ANY sort in my entire life.  DH has had multiple surgeries so of course he thinks this is going to be a piece of cake.  I am also scared because it's a doctor I don't know, and a male doctor (yes I know it makes no difference, but I have never in my life had a male doctor).  Dammit.  Why does this have to be so hard? I kept praying for good news at the u/s and of course, it wasn't good at all.  I have had all that Cytotec and cramping and bleeding for 3 days for NOTHING.  what a waste.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Succumbed to the D&C

• I'm so sorry to hear that. I was really hoping you had gotten over the worst of it. At least it will all be over for you soon. I think if mine had gone on so long I would have definitely opted for the D&C as well. I'm sure it will be over quickly and from what I've read the D&C seems to not be terribly painful. My thoughts are with you... keep us posted :(
    Me 38, DH 34 Missed M/C 10/08 at 10 weeks DD born 8/09, TTC#2 since Jan 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so sorry for your loss....(((HUGS))) I just had a "suction" D&C yesterday. They put me to sleep and I didn't feel/hear anything. I have had minimal bleeding so far (like a light period.....)....BUT, I have had severe cramping. However, I have a friend who had a D&C last year and she had no cramping after. I have been taking pain meds and needed them to get through the night. The cramps are still bad today, but are maybe lessening. However, my baby died at 10.5 weeks and I just had a baby 1 year ago......so it could be worse for me b/c my uterus has gone through a lot in the past year....
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry you are still going through this.

I've had 2 d&c's and haven't had any cramping after either of them.  ((hugs))
    2 girls and a dog
  • I had a D and C yesterday.  When I went in I thought it was just the regular D and C, then I saw the words suction.  Yes it was scary to see those words.  So far it really has not been that bad.  They put me to sleep and when I woke up I felt like I was going to start my period and I had very little bleeding.  It was not painful at all.  When I got home I stayed off my feet and took my meds.  Still not much bleeding and very little cramping. My stomach muscles are a little sore but that is about it.  My embreyo was only 6w 6d along.  Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. 

Stay positive and take it one day at a time!
  • I had a D&C/E (never really got a straight answer) but they didn't scrap, they just used suction.  I had a similar situation...The baby had tried to pass, but got stuck in my cervix.  The Dr (who was also male and who I did not know) told me that he wouldn't scrap in the cervix because it's so vascular, you will bleed too much. 
    The afternoon after the procedure, I had minimal cramping and really didn't bleed much at all...just spotted for a few days afterward.  It was just a relief to not be bleeding profusely for the first time in a week. 

Good luck.
  • I'm so sorry...I hope the procedure goes smoothly for you.  Also, I'm sorry about the other day...I did misunderstand your comment, and I apologize for losing it with you.
  • I had never had any type of surgery and at first I was terrified too.  I was terrified for about 30 seconds on the table, then I was knocked out and woke up in recovery.  Really, for me it was A LOT easier than my natural m/c.  I hope that it goes well for you.  Keep us updated.
    7 mm/c
    APS, hetero factor v leiden & MTHFR
    bfp #1 - 12.11.07, edd 8.14.08, mm/c 1.21.08 (10w4d)
    bfp #2 - 4.4.08, edd 12.3.08, mm/c 5.14.08 (11w)
    bfp #3 - 8.3.08, edd 4.15.09, mm/c 9.17.08 (10w)
    bfp #4 - 1.15.09, edd 9.26.09, mm/c 2.16.09 (8w2d)
    bfp #5 - 6.16.09, edd 2.25.10, mm/c 7.23.09 (9w)
    bfp #6 - 8.12.10, edd 4.27.11, mm/c 9.16.10 (8w1d)
    one more try -> bfp #7 - 2.11, our miracle baby boy arrived 10.11
    ttc again -> bfp #8 - 5.3.13, edd 1.13.14, mm/c 5.30.13 (7w3d)
    bfp #9 - 9.23.13, our miracle baby girl arrived 5.29.14

• I have barely had time to nest these past few days -- I wanted to tell you that you are very patient and brave to endure your D&C after waiting and trying the medically induced m/c.  It sucks that it did not work for you....from your post above it looks like the worst (physically at least) is behind you now.  So I am happy that worked out for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"