Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

HcG Levels Question

I confirmed my natural m/c this morning based on my hcg counts (I had been bleeding heavy for several days).  I'm wondering how quickly I should the hcg levels to get to zero.  I didn't have a frame of reference when she told me my hcg levels today, I just knew that going down was a bad sign.  Having read some posts here, it seems as though my levels were very low to begin withn.  My levels on 9/26 were 360, and on 9/29 were 185.  I was approx 6 1/2 weeks. 

So I guess I have a couple questions:
Any thoughts on how long until zero?  
Does getting to zero quickly mean that AF will come sooner? 
Is it OK to have sex if I've stopped bleeding?  It seems like protection is suggested at this point too?

Thanks everyone! Hugs!

After 3 years, 3 losses, and 3 IVF's, our little girls have arrived! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Zoo

Re: HcG Levels Question

• Hey there. I totally understand the questions, I felt the same way a month ago!
    Of course every women is different, but it took my body about 4 weeks to go from 460-33-13-0. I ovulated a few days after
    I got to 0 (same as a few others who've shared stories w/me), and about 2 weeks after 0 I got my period.
    My Dr said DH and I could have sex after I stopped bleeding and if I felt ready. Most people are told 2 weeks. Yes, protection is suggested because Docs usually advise waiting 1-3 cycles after m/c (depends on nat m/c vs. D&C/E).
    That's about all I was able to cobble together - hope it helps!
    good luck & take care :)
  • Thanks for the info!  I appreciate it. =)
    After 3 years, 3 losses, and 3 IVF's, our little girls have arrived! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Zoo
  • Loading the player...
  • I never had my levels checked, so I'm not much help, but I think it varies a lot. Hopefully with your low levels, they'll be to zero quickly and you can move on. Sorry I can't be more specific.

And I'm very sorry for your loss. ((hugs))
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. I never had hcg tested either. But after both of my later losses, I ovulated 4 days later than normally. Your body does need to drop back down in levels in order to allow your body to ovulate. With my early losses, I pretty much ovulated on time. With the levels you are at, I'd expect you to get to zero quickly and your cycle will return pretty normally. My doc would have us come in a couple of weeks later and check the cervix before having sex with the first few. I'd wait at least a few days. Most docs like you to wait at least one cycle before getting pregnant again.
  • I had an early loss at 5w3d.  It took me about three weeks to get down from 200 to zero.  As far as I know, you won't O until your levels get close to zero, which means you probably won't get AF until after that (although some folks do have annovulatory cycles).

On the sex front, I believe there are concerns with infection if your cervix is not closed, so you may want to ask your doctor.  Protection is up to you.  For your sanity, it will be easier to date the pregnancy if you have the date of your last menstrual period, but I don't know that there is any medical reason to wait.  Some docs say it is okay to try again right away, others advise waiting one to three cycles.  Ours advised waiting one. 
    DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • I'm sorry for your loss.

Last Monday my hcg ws 160ish. This past Monday is was 9. I should be 0 by the end of the week I would guess. It is kind of surprising on how SLOW it takes to drop. Hurry up already so I can get started on my TTC journey.

• Thanks again to everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"