Baby Names
Options

Anyone NOT prefer nicknames? Nicknamers reply also.

2»

Re: Anyone NOT prefer nicknames? Nicknamers reply also.

• Options

DS name is Nicholas and I am very insistent (sp?) that he be called that.   My niece and nephew call him Nicky though- but they are 8 and 5, so I don't make a big deal out of it.   Sometimes I call him "Nick Nack"- but just for fun, not as a nickname.

Of course when he's older, if he wants to go by Nick or Nicky, that will be his choice, but I will always call him Nicholas. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Our DD's name will be Ava too.  I said "Easy to say and easy to spell, plus no nickname"  My niece says "Well I'll call her "Ave".    I just rolled my eyes at her. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I prefer names with a nn option. DD is Matilda. That's a lot of name for a little girl, so we call her Tillie and have since she was born. We don't insist that other people do it, but they pick up on us doing it, realize thats the name she recognizes and therefore they tend to call her that too. I like a name to be able to grow with a child. So as an adult, I like that if DD feels her full name is more appropriate/professional then she can go by Matilda, or even another nickname such as Tilda or Mattie. I don't feel like I have to dictate my child's name since she is the one who has to live with it. I want to give her something to work with, so I'm glad we were able to chose a name that I feel has a lot of options.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • Options
    I really dislike nicknames. No one in my family goes by nicknames. My name is Laura and I've always loved that I never had a nickname. Our last name is one syllable and we are trying to find longer names, but those almost always lead to nicknames. My favorite girl name is Elizabeth and we have no intention on calling her anything but Elizabeth. I've really considered taking it off because I would hate if people called her Liz, Lizzie, Eliza, Betsy, Betty, etc...
  • Options

I think it depends on the name--if LO is a girl, her name will be Eleanor--we may or may not call her Ellie or Lea or some other NN (I've also joked, somewhat, that she may well end up being called "Ellie-bird" or "Little Bird" at times, due to our MN choice--but that would be more of a family/pet-name, not a "what people call you at school" thing), at least when she's young, since DH's grandmother by the same name is still alive and goes by her full FN.  If LO is a boy, our FN choice is Thomas, and we've agreed we'll be calling him by his full FN because we prefer it to Tom, Tommy, or Thom.

In either case, when LO is older, s/he is free to choose what s/he would like to be called, full name or nickname.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't mind NN but I like when they come about on their own. My nephew is Cristian Jason. I thought Cristian J. sounded cute one day, started calling him that for fun and it kinda caught on. I mostly call him Cris like everyone else but Cristian J. slips out every so often too from many people.

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"