High-Risk Pregnancy

Short cervix ladies...come in

I am so glad that I found this part of the board and realized that so many of you are going through what I am going through. 

I am 18 weeks and my cervix is 2.5 cm long (at 16 weeks, it was 3.3 cm long).  Of course, I was immediately hysterical, assuming the worst, and thinking that I would lose my baby due to preterm labor and incompetent cervix.  It is so nice to hear that so many of you are far into your pregnancy and have been able to maintain enough length (either by cerclage or bedrest).

Can you please tell more about your situations?  Do you have a cerclage and if so, when did you get it?  (I think I am getting close to the point where it is becoming very risky to get one.)  If you are on bedrest, is it strict?  What can/can't you do?  Feel free to give any more info that you would like to share.

Thank you so much for your time.  I truly appreciate it and I don't feel so alone when I hear from you ladies. 

Re: Short cervix ladies...come in

• I was first diagnosed at my anatomy scan, I was 1.8cm. I went immediately on at home bed rest and was not considered a candidate for a cerclage by the MFM, too far along and twins ( my ob does not agree but that's a whole other story!). At home I had to spend the day on the couch or bed and was allowed 15 minutes to shower, get food etc. Unfortunately I continued to shorten and am now at a .6 and 2 cm dilated so I'm on hospital bed rest, had my steroid shots, procardia every 4 hours, and contraction monitors every 8. Don't let my experience scare you though, one of the girls who works for me just had twins, was at a .6 at 22 weeks (without contractions) and she went to 35 anther babies had no NICU time. Just follow Dr's orders and they will get you as far as you can go. Sending you my thoughts and prayers and hope the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was diagnosed with shortened and funneling cervix at 23 weeks. Technically, it's a dynamic cervix so it goes anywhere between 2-3 cm opened. I was immediately placed on hospital bed rest and it's on the strict side. I get to lay on my sides throughout the day, only semi sitting up to eat meals but I can get up to go to the bathroom. I can only shower once a day because they want to take as much pressure off the cervix as possible (it may be worse for me because I have twins).

I received my steroid shots at 24 weeks and they will probably be repeated when I get further along in my pregnancy. My MFMs and OBs are pretty confident that I will make it awhile longer. I got the fetal fibronectin test at 23.5ish weeks which told the MFMs that I had a great chance of not delivering within the next 2 weeks. So, we are somewhat 'safe' for the next couple of days.

• Loading the player...
  • Oh also, the MFMs told me that they would not be checking my cervix again for awhile. They don't want to do anything to irritate it and by knowing that its shortened at this stage would not change their path of treatment.
  • At my anatomy scan (20w2d), they found that my cervix had shortened from 3.6 (at 16w) to 2.5.  My MFM and OB agreed I was too far along with twins for a cerclage.  I was admitted overnight for monitoring to make sure I wasn't having contractions, then discharged on strict bedrest plus progesterone suppositories. 

As for what I'm allowed to do on bedrest, I can use the bathroom, shower once a day, move from the bed to the couch, and get myself something quick to eat from the kitchen (but no cooking).  Basically, I'm supposed to lay down as much as possible to keep the weight off my cervix.

Like you, i was initially freaked out and worried that I was going to lose the babies.  I've been on bedrest for almost 6 weeks now.  They check my cervix every 2 weeks and it's holding strong at 2.5-2.7.  If it drops below 2.5, they'll give me a round of steroid shots for the babies' lung development, but my doctors are now pretty optimistic that I can keep them in much longer, possibly full term.  Around 34 weeks, if nothing changes, they'll start to lift the restrictions and let me resume activity, although I'll still need to take it really easy.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Here was my story:

At 20 week u/s, they found 2 soft markers on my DD, so they sent me to a perinatologist for another level 2 u/s. At that second u/s at 22 weeks, they said my cervix was down to 2.8. The peri said I should start modified bedrest, including working from home, only doing light errands on the weekend and taking it really easy during the week by staying on the couch and only preparing light meals.

I started modified bedrest and my cervix stayed like that until about 25 weeks, when it went down to 2. At that point, I was given the steroid shots and admitted to the hospital overnight for an ffN test, which came back negative, and b/c of minor contractions due to dehydration (b/c they kept me in L&D so long without a drink, I started contracting). I was sent home the next day but put on strict bedrest--only allowed to get up to shower once a day and make a sandwich.

Unfortunately, I don't think I quite took it easy enough and spent a lot of my time only in a semi-reclined position rather than fully reclined like I should have been, so that by 28 weeks, my cervix was 1.X (can't remember the exact number). At that point, I was admitted to the hospital for bedrest. I stayed there for 4 weeks, from weeks 28 to 32. It was very strict bedrest and I only left my room about 3 times for less than a half hour each time during that whole month. I was allowed to only get up to go the bathroom and take a shower. I spent most of the day on my left side.

Finally, at 32 weeks, my cervix hadn't changed that much, so they sent me home to finish bedrest there. I did strict bedrest, only leaving my master bedroom a handful of times, from weeks 32-35. DH brought me all of my food and did everythign at home for us. I was taken off bedrest at week 35 and allowed to do whatever I wanted. I delivered at 36w4d due to rising BP, which hadn't been a problem at all until that last week. Before that, my BP had been so low they worried about it at times.

• imageAGHR31:
    Oh also, the MFMs told me that they would not be checking my cervix again for awhile. They don't want to do anything to irritate it and by knowing that its shortened at this stage would not change their path of treatment.
    This! My Dr actually told me "we will try our hardest to keep our fingers out of your vagina." I thought that was funny.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • With my first pregnancy I was 2.5 at 25w1d and my doctor said "take it easy" and check back at 25w5d. I was about the same and went on strict bedrest. I stayed on that until 36 weeks and went to modified, where I could basically do things around the house but he didn't allow me back to work.

My baby stuck around till 39w2d! Success without cerclage.

With this one, I begin biweekly monitoring in 2 weeks.

• As for me, I have two kids, this is my fourth pregnancy and second cerclage. My first pregnancy was without this issue. I lost my son at 22 weeks during my second pregnancy.

Then on my third, the docs took preventative measures since they weren't sure why I lost my son/ if I had IC and gave me a cerclage at 14 weeks. I went from an over 3cm length cervix to a 0.5cm at my 21 week appt. (mind you I wasn't on any sort of bedrest then). I found myself admitted to emergency bedrest in the hospital around the same week as when I lost my son a year earlier. I stayed there on strict BR (up for showers every 3 days/ going to get U-sounds) for 42 days and since my cervical length had stabilized and I got to 28 weeks, I was allowed to leave to continue BR at home. I actually went to my scheduled C/S date at 39 weeks to deliver w/ my cerclage still in (too difficult to remove in office at my 37 week appt).

Now, with this 4th time, we are doing things even earlier. I had my cerclage at 12 weeks with modified BR following that. Began progesterone shots at week 16. And onto strict BR from Monday (18 weeks)- when my H goes back to work after the holidays, my parents will come up to take over care for my two children. So, I will have my next TVUS on Thursday next week (just short of 20 weeks) and am freaked out since that's when I find I usually start to shorten.

You are certainly not alone. There are many of us out here trying to keep our babies cooking for as long as possible. Keep us up-to-date!

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.
  • I recently had a cerclage placed (5 days ago when I was 20w2d). At my 20 week scan my cervix measured 2.5, but upon placement of the cerclage it was actually 2. Currently I'm not on bed rest, just light restrictions which include no exercise, heavy lifting, or being on my feet for too long (and obviously no sex). I am now scheduled for weekly appointments. 

I'm a first year medical student so most of my work is classroom based and I've already completed the bulk of my clinical responsibilities for the year. Luckily, my school is in the heart of the medical district in Chicago which provides me with a little bit of reassurance since I'm not being monitored in a hospital setting. 

Best of luck to you and keep us posted! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • During my last pg, my cervix was 2.5 cm at 15 weeks. 2 weeks later I was 2cm dilated and delivering my twin boys, who lived only minutes.  My cervix is crap. 

This pregnancy, I got a transabdominal cerclage in pregnancy at 10w6d and now I'm almost 27 weeks with a 4.5cm cervix!!!  It's been measured every 2 weeks since 8 weeks and at this point, I'm only being monitored for preterm labor.  I'm on ZERO bedrest, as this type of cerclage is not affected by gravity, as is the traditional transvaginal cerclage.  Lots of info in my blog, I'm a HUUGE proponent of it.  I had a scary week (I overdid it physically) and LO was very active, so I was having some contractions (not strong).  If I take it easy, I can pretty much do my regular routine, light housework, etc. 

Twin boys born too early at 17w4d and 18w2d in February 2010
    Transabdominal cerclage placed September 2010
    DS born at 35w1d in February 2011
    Twin girls born at exactly 36w in February 2013
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hey there, I went to my Dr appt this morning and had the results of y ultrasound done at 26 weeks,  The doc said I had a short cervix, measuring 2.7 . . . I am like "and that means ? ? ? "  He said that this sometimes results in preterm labor and they want to to and prevent that from happening.  They gave me steriod shot (Celestone) to help mature babys lings faster.  I go for the 2nd part ofhte shot tomorrow.  I am really freaked out right now and stressing big time.  He also gave me a perscription (procardia) to help prevent any contractions from coming too early....hopefully this will work! Physically I feel fine, just the normal tiredness . . This will be my first and I'm excited and scared now since I've went to the doctors today.  I have to go back every week for checkups and weekly ultrasounds now.  The baby is the correct weight and size for the 27 week point, heartbeat is good as well.   Ladies please pray that everything goes ok for me!  good luck to all my fellow pregos!!!

nikki

Left Hug

"loving motherhood and my precious baby girl . . . "
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"