June 2011 Moms
Options

Nervous around Doctors, any suggestion

Ever since I was little I've always been really nervous around doctors, for no particualr reason at all. I go in with intentions to ask a bunch of questions and be my usual self but when I the doc comes in I freeze, I just try to hurry things along and get the hell out of there. If I am forced to speak I end up crying because I'm so nervous. Anyone feel this way at all and have any pointers to help me communicate with my doctor?

Re: Nervous around Doctors, any suggestion

• Options
    I have no fear around Doctors at all, but I still find I forget to ask questions. I suggest writing all your questions down so you can read them to him. Or if you think you still might chicken out give the list to the nurse and tell her they are the questions you have for the Doctor. If you feel comfortable let her know you are fearful, I am sure they are used to patients who are afraid of the Doctor and can help you out.
  • Options
    I know what you mean, notes help a bit when it comes to questions you want to ask and the thing I keep telling myself while I'm there is that its a fact that that doctor has been asked MUCH worse things than I'm going to ask, has seen MUCH grosser things than I have to show, and at the end of the day probably isn't going to even remember seeing me or what I asked them. Some people have a much closer relationship with their doctors but my doctor has so many people to see in a day, I know he wouldn't recognize me out on the street. I'm switching to a midwife in January and I'm hoping to have a much more open and friendly relationship with her than I do with my general doc.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's not so much a fear of telling him gross stuff, it's more just an intimidation thing I guess, nurses don't really do it to me and I do usually talk to them about my concerns and such but then they don't get relayed to the doctor.
  • Options
    My advice would be to take your hubby or s/o to the appointments with you.  If he is willing to ask the questions, maybe he could get the ball rolling and then you would feel more comfortable with him by your side.
  • Options
    I'm married to a doctor and I still get nervous for my own appointments!  As PP have said, writing things down that you want to ask really helps me. I did that at my 1st prenatal visit and got all of my questions answered, but I didn't do it for my last one and walked out of there and realized I forgot to ask certain things.  I'm sure as we get to know our doctor's more since we'll be seeing them so often in the coming months, we'll get less and less nervous each time...that is until its time to actually deliver  Tongue Tied
  • Options

I'm sorry you feel that way. =(

I agree with previous poster, to perhaps ask the nurse to ask Dr your questions for you.

My psych background wonders if it's just underlying fear of an authoritative/professional figure? Not to worry, doctors are humans too who make humanly errors. My first job as a nurse was at a very busy VA hospital. I've worked with all kinds of doctors, snooty ones, nice ones, goofy ones, even dumb ones. They're really harmless. 

Maybe take DH with you during your visit for moral support and have you questions written down and ready. 

Goodluck.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Definatly bring a list of questions in with you, written down.

Would DH being there help? Maybe he can help you start asking that list of questions?

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Rainbow baby, EDD 7/8/14, missed miscarriage 12/5/13. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"