High-Risk Pregnancy

Placenta previa....

I have been so lucky up until this point- no morning sickness, not too tired and then out of no where a little spotting the other night.  I panicked and called the doctor, they brought me in, and then sent me to another office for a sonogram.  My husband couldn't leave work so I went by myself and cried all the way to the next office wondering what could be wrong.  Candie- who showed us the heartbeat the first time was there and found the problem- placenta previa.  The placenta is covering the cervix and if I go into labor I could bleed too much (they usually deliver via cesarean).  I've been doing research- happens in 1 out of 3 in first trimester and in 90% of cases it moves up as the uterus grows.  But I'm 17 weeks and out of my first trimester.  I've ruled out all the potential causes- haven't had a baby before with this issue, no IVF etc and I'm scared out of my mind.  If it doesn't resolve itself, the fact that the hospital we are delivering in is an hour away really scares me (because I could hemorrhage), then there are the complications that this could cause- if the placenta grows into or through the uterus it could mean a hysterectomy.  I can't stop thinking about it and I've been crying non-stop....I want nothing more than to bring this baby into the world health- but I want to be healthy when it's over too!  Please ladies, give me some hopeful advice! 

Re: Placenta previa....

• I was diagnosed with this at 20 weeks via ultrasound, but by my 28th week the placenta had moved away from my cervix completely, so there is still time for a change. I had been told that even at 20 weeks there was still a 90% chance of it moving, and in my case that is what happened. I think there are some ladies around on the boards that are far along and still have it, hopefully they can give you some positive advice. I know its hard not to worry, but you still have lots of time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We found out when i was 20wks that i have a full placenta previa.. I am now 37wks and it has moved up only 2 inch.. So i am not in the clear.. I have had an u/s every 4wks to check on baby's weight and to see if the placenta has moved up anymore.. As of right now they still want it to move at least 1inch.. They want me to have a c/s at 39wks.. If i last that long.. This is the second time i have had a placenta previa.. I wouldn't worry to much unless the doctors are worried..  It happens to more women than you may think.. Best of luck to you..
  • Loading the player...
  • I was diagnosed with complete placenta previa at 19 weeks, confirmed at 28 weeks.  I am having it checked again at 34 weeks.  I have been lucky to not have any bleeding associated with the PP yet.  I am on pelvic rest and taking it very easy.

I am in the minority.  Most previas do resolve themselves but I did have risk factors:  fertility treatments and a twin pregnancy (lost twin in first tri).  

There isn't anything you can do right now except take it easy and watch for bleeding. Google is not your friend and will only make you worry. 

Good luck!  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • same as previous poster mine moved out of the way.  My mil actually told me that when she was pregnant with my husband she was put on bedrest due to bleeding and having complete placenta previa....and hers moved out of the way at the way end of her pregnancy and she ended up having a regular delivery.  Even if it doesn't the dr.'s will tell you what you should be looking for and if you should be worried.  I know the hospital that you are delivering at is an hour away, but is there one close by that you can go to if you have an emergency (most likely you won't but it might give you piece of mind that there is an alternative).
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • You'll be okay! There is a 90% chance the previa will resolve after 20 weeks.

I had a complete previa discovered at 16 weeks and was on pelvic rest the remainder of my pregnancy. Mine never resolved (I like to be different and go against the odds!). I had an amnio at 35 weeks 3 days and my son was born at 36 weeks via emergency c-section, completely perfect, he had no problems at all.

If you want to know any more about what you can expect or anything at all, feel free to pm me.

• I wanted to share my story: I was diagnosed at 20 weeks with partial, and at 24 or 26 weeks it was full previa. I had never had a previous pregnancy, never had abdominal surgery, etc. No reason for it, but it happened. My entire pregnancy was "normal". I had some Braxton Hicks that got intense whenever I wouldn't rest. I was on pelvic rest from 28 weeks until I gave birth, and bedrest from 32-37 weeks. I was able to be up and about for an hour a day, so I showered, even walked around stores, etc. I never bled or had any scares.

I was really scared about the thought of a hysterectomy during the c-section, but really, you will be fine. I'm pregnant with my 2nd baby now... and my placenta is normal. My OB scheduled my CS for 37w and we did the amnio (honestly, I'd avoid it if you can). The amnio caused regular contractions and they thought I was going into labor. They admitted me into the hospital and I had my CS the next day. The OB said everything went great and I had a healthy, happy baby boy. Talk to your doc about your worries, they'll help you feel better... mine did.

Placenta Previa isn't a death sentence. Your body could fix it or you could have a pregnancy like mine. Take it easy, drink lots of water and trust that you will be fine. :) good luck and just think about hearing your little one cry during surgery-  after everything you'll worry about, it's the most emotional moment of your life- I guarantee it. Whatever you go through, it is all worth it at that moment.

"Right beside you is where I belong... from this moment on." imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all for the advice, I was really scared at first and cried a lot.  I've done research on a medical website and asked the doctor lots of questions (including the whole list my father wrote down, lol) and I feel a little better.  Taking advantage of the rest is the easy part, who doesn't like to have an excuse for hubby to vacuum and help with the groceries? It's hard to know there is nothing you can do but wait....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"