Infertility

Does Gonal-F need to be refrigerated?

I've only ever used Follistim in the past but for my IVF cycle they have me on Gonal-F. I assumed it needed to be kept in the fridge like Follistim, but today when I was talking to the agent at the pharmacy, she said that none of my meds needed to be refrigerated.

I'll be on Gonal-F, Menopur (which I've been on before), adding in Ganirelix, and then PIO. 

Thanks! :)

TTC #1 since June 2008 *SAIFW*

TI, IUIs, IVF = c/ps and BFNs

Re: Does Gonal-F need to be refrigerated?

• I've always refridgerated my gonal-f, and just taken it out to warm up before my injection...but I've heard on this board that it only needs to be refridgerated for longer term storage....if you have opened it and started using it, you can leave it out if you want.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    SAIFW
  • I was always told you just had to use it within 30 days if its out of the fridge. Its pretty much the same as Follistim. 
    1-20-09 BFP third month of Follistim IUI 02-19-09 MC 06-24-09 MC July IUI Follistim Ganirelix Ovidrel Crinone=BFN Aug. IUI Follistim Ganirelix ovidrel Crinone=BFP= scared sh**less 10-12-09 MC = 1 ectopic 1 perfect Dec. IUI Gonal-F Ganirelix Ovidrel Crinone Lovenox 01-02-10 BFP=scared sh**less again 01-06-10 CP SAIF ALWAYS WELCOME : ) March 2010 - IVF in progress converted to IUI 03-30-10 BFN April 2010 - IVF - BFFN June 2010 - IVF - BFFN July IUI BFP! March 26 2011 Gracie is here! imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I only refrigerated Gonal-f after I mixed it. The lady I talked to at the pharmacy told me that Menopur needed to be refrigerated after it was mixed as well.
    After 3 years of infertility we were blessed with twin girls through private infant adoption.
    Forever our's October 17th 2012
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageginger67:
    I was always told you just had to use it within 30 days if its out of the fridge. Its pretty much the same as Follistim. 

Seems like it, thanks! 

I was just a little thrown because they've always sent the Follistim in an insulated pack with an ice pack and then she said that they wouldn't for Gonal-F...

• I keep mine in the fridge as it shipped in a cold pack, however instructions here say room temp is OK. I always thought that taking the vials out of cold storage shortened it's shelf life, but maybe not...
    +++
  • imageMandy_Lou83:
    I only refrigerated Gonal-f after I mixed it. The lady I talked to at the pharmacy told me that Menopur needed to be refrigerated after it was mixed as well.

Probably so...I always used the whole vial though so I never had to worry about that I guess.. 

Do you know which protocol you will be on? How did you appointment go? 

• Depends on what they send you. If it's the multidose (with vials), then no... you can leave it unrefrigerated until you mix it. Once you mix it, you should stick it in the fridge. If they are sending you the pens, then definitely refrigerate it because it is already mixed. Make sense? That's how the pharmacy explained it to me. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageroselln2:
    Depends on what they send you. If it's the multidose (with vials), then no... you can leave it unrefrigerated until you mix it. Once you mix it, you should stick it in the fridge. If they are sending you the pens, then definitely refrigerate it because it is already mixed. Make sense? That's how the pharmacy explained it to me. Good luck!

This is exactly how my nurse, RE and pharmacist explained it to me.

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I take a multi dose of Gonal F and don't refrigerate..I also get meds every month...

I only put ovidrel in fridge

Good luck!

The key to life is to enjoy the journey IUI#1 & #3=BFN (2010) IUI #2=c/p (2010) IUI#4-BFP,but ruled ectopic(2011) IUI#5: Feb 2012 (clomid, bravelle & ovidrel)
  • I used the Gonal-F pens and kept them in the fridge until I was ready to use them and then left them at room temp while I used them. I was on 300 so one pen only lasted me a day and half.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"