Military Families
Options

Why Not Minot?

Anyone stationed in Minot ND?

I have lov ed living here but i am so ready to get out there and explore more bases. DH's security clearance has gone through so now we can officially get orders after March which is his 2yr mark on FDS. We put overseas as our main bases and it seems like everyone around us is PCS'ing, i would hate to move in the 3degree snow weather we have now but i would love love love to find out how to get this process going faster :/

Re: Why Not Minot?

• Options
    My best friend is there and she hates it.  She has been there about a year.  Her husband is active duty and she was as well until a few months ago.  She said the snow and cold it just too much (coming from someone that is from Nebraska and use to a ton of snow) and there isn't much to do.  She was a medic and wasn't a fan of the medical care so she moved back to NE to have her twins.  The closest high risk doctor was too far for her comfort.  I don't know anything else specific other than she is counting down until they leave.
  • Options
    We're out in Grand Forks. Going on 8 years here. Trying to get out though since it's not much better.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've been in Minot since September.  Only 3 months into our 2 year minimum and I don't know if I can make it- I'm so bored!  It's hard to meet people when everyone is inside hiding from the cold.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

1. The weather.

2. The boredom.

3. They (flight line) fail their exercises.

Being at the opposite B-52 base, it makes me nervous that Minot could be in our future. Please God, no.

"Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • Options

imagesunshine336:
    We've been in Minot since September.  Only 3 months into our 2 year minimum and I don't know if I can make it- I'm so bored!  It's hard to meet people when everyone is inside hiding from the cold.  

Try this

https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=121899611197530

I've done some things through them and met some people but other then that i stay inside. We go to Bismark sometimes n have gone down to SD to see Mt. Rushmore which was nice. Minot really doesnt have ne thing good except walking the mall, going to parks and having BBQ's in the summer but i like that there is no crime, that's always a plus

• Options
    Like always the majority of people with opinions about Minot have never been here.  No matter WHAT base you go to you are going to have things you like and dislike.  It's about what YOU make of it.  There isn't a lot to do here during the winter but that applies to everyone so we have formed some lasting relationships and memories with friends we will never forget (indoors of course ;-)).  There are many large lakes that are beautiful the way the were cut into the earth (all man made here).  The Badlands are amazing and you could hike, camp, take a guided horse tour.....  Everything you NEED is here, just not a lot of extra (no Red Lobster or Olive Garden :-().  And like another poster said, the cold keeps out the rift-raft.  You can leave your car and house unlocked and not worry.  They are constantly working on the base and it's an extremly nice and clean base.  Also some of the NICEST housing in the Air Force.  Only a clinic on base and the hospital downtown is wonderful.  I worked in healthcare before and this was the most curtious and disciplined staff ever.  We had our first child here and it was a wonderful experience.  Anyway, if someone says there is nothing to do here it's there own fault.  Sounds like you are going to be stationed here like it or not so you might as well look for the positive or you are going to be miserable for the next 4+ years.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"