Maryland Babies
Options

What activity would you choose?

So we can only to afford to do one of the following activities and I was just curious what you would choose:

1. swim lessons (downside I actually have to shave my legs during the winter lol and find a bathing suit for myself)

2. spanish or chinese lessons (downside lessons are in Towson and I live in AA Co)

3. gymnastics (there are a few downsides but they very depending on the place)

We would probably start in Febuary as we will be in TX for 1/2 of January.  So my son will be right around 18 months old.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What activity would you choose?

• Options
    For DD I would either do swim lessons or gymnastics.

• Options
    Swimming. You'd both be able to participate and I think everyone should know how to swim, or at least be comfortable in the water.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I love our Gymboree class; so I'd probably do gymnastics.

I would definitely skip Chinese or Spanish lessons.

If you spend a lot of time at the pool I might do the swimming lessons.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks ladies for your input!  I meant to add that one of my concerns about swimming is the chlorine.  Do you think it will dry out my son's skin?

imageKathrynMD:

We did gymboree and Matthew wasn't too much of a fan of the classes so we stopped but he did LOVE open gym.  That's why I was thinking of maybe doing the Docksiders Gymnastics as I imagine it would be less singing more tumbling.  He will also be a few months older too so that might help...

• Options
    imageanonsouthernbell:

Thanks ladies for your input!  I meant to add that one of my concerns about swimming is the chlorine.  Do you think it will dry out my son's skin?

imageKathrynMD:

We did gymboree and Matthew wasn't too much of a fan of the classes so we stopped but he did LOVE open gym.  That's why I was thinking of maybe doing the Docksiders Gymnastics as I imagine it would be less singing more tumbling.  He will also be a few months older too so that might help...

I'm sure teh chlorine will dry his skin out.  DD has eczema and I try to avoid bathing her more than once or twice a week in this weather b/c its soo dry. 

Re Gymboree - you may want to look again.  We started when DD was 20 months and now we are in the 22-28 mo. class and I have definitely noticed that this class is more physically challenging now than the younger class, might be the same w/ the 12-15 mo class to now.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Chlorine- especially in indoor pools- makes me nervous, just as much for respiratory reasons as for their skin.

Can I ask if you were going to take classes with a rather well-known (infamous to some) female swim instructor in Annapolis?  Even though this one instructor is successful at getting kids to swim, I have heard too many stories about how mean she is, how kids hate her, etc. to pay the crazy amount of $$$ she charges- also I know she takes more kids per class than the Red Cross recommends and I have heard that while she "drown proofs" kids she isn't really teaching them the best fundamentals of how to swim- which IMO makes her astronomical costs completely outlandish. 

For Spanish classes have you looking into the Annapolis Language School? 

https://annapolislanguageschool.com/

I might have a coupon or something in my e-mail.  We did a Spanish class with DD right after she turned 2 and it was nice.  The parents must participate.  She was the youngest child in the class and not really ready for "circle" time, but it was a good exposure to a pre-school like experience- and they always gave you a handout so you could take vocabulary words/songs home and keep doing them if you wanted.  We did the class as a special activity for DD in the end of my pregnancy/when DS was a newborn.

For gymnastics have you looked into 1st Class Gym off Defense highway in Annapolis?  We have only been there and to My Gym and prefer 1st Class. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Ohhh those are tough choices! I'm probably not one to advise since I don't really have a child yet. But, I do have a 1 year old niece and a 16 month old nephew. My nephew LOVES to be active, so for him, I'd definitely say gymnastics. My niece loves the pool and loves sounds and such, so swimming or lessons would be good for her.

I'm really big on languages, so I'm excited to introduce my kids to different languages. It just depends if you think at 18 months he will be able to sit and pay attention! Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm late, but I would choose swimming. I started swimming lessons when I was around 18 months old and I plan to do the same with my future kids. When I was older, I taught swim lessons to kids aged 2-8 and I think it's really great to get them comfortable in the water as early as possible. Obviously, find the right teacher - different techniques work for different aged children.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Options

I would vote swimming as well. The younger you introduce them the more comfortable they usually are around water. I took "lessons" from a very young age then swam competitively and eventually taught lessons myself while in college. I taught the infant class and it was only about 30 minutes once a week so unless your child has very sensitive skin I would not worry too much about the chlorine, especially if you bathe them after the lesson.

Have fun whatever you choose! 

• Options
    Learning foreign languages will improve overall language skills, and it's easier to start learning a language prior to the age of two.  The SAT would be a cinch for him when he gets to high school!!  Otherwise, he'll be stuck in middle school French, German, Spanish, etc., and hating every minute of it.  Then again, sports encourage healthy living habits.  Hmmmm...it's a toughie.  Go with your gut!!  Good luck :)
  • Options

Ty ladies for all of your wonderful input!  I will be honest I still haven't completely decided but I am thinking that we will do gymnastics again, then swimming when it gets hot and maybe I can convince dh to do the language too :)

imagedaisyterp:

Chlorine- especially in indoor pools- makes me nervous, just as much for respiratory reasons as for their skin.

Can I ask if you were going to take classes with a rather well-known (infamous to some) female swim instructor in Annapolis?  Even though this one instructor is successful at getting kids to swim, I have heard too many stories about how mean she is, how kids hate her, etc. to pay the crazy amount of $$$ she charges- also I know she takes more kids per class than the Red Cross recommends and I have heard that while she "drown proofs" kids she isn't really teaching them the best fundamentals of how to swim- which IMO makes her astronomical costs completely outlandish. 

For Spanish classes have you looking into the Annapolis Language School? 

https://annapolislanguageschool.com/

I might have a coupon or something in my e-mail.  We did a Spanish class with DD right after she turned 2 and it was nice.  The parents must participate.  She was the youngest child in the class and not really ready for "circle" time, but it was a good exposure to a pre-school like experience- and they always gave you a handout so you could take vocabulary words/songs home and keep doing them if you wanted.  We did the class as a special activity for DD in the end of my pregnancy/when DS was a newborn.

For gymnastics have you looked into 1st Class Gym off Defense highway in Annapolis?  We have only been there and to My Gym and prefer 1st Class. 

I didn't realize that they had language class in Annapolis and I have not heard of that woman - she sounds awful!  I was looking into the lessons at I think Kids First Swim school in Severna Park. (Awhile ago I thought that I saw one that had salt water instead of the chlorine but I can't seem to find it).  And I am also the same as you regarding inhaling the chlorine - it does make me a tad nervous.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"