3rd Trimester
Options

did you know you were about to go into labor

Did you know that you were about to go into labor a day or a few days before you went into labor or did it just come on suddenly? Did you have any signs or feel different beforehand?

I am due tomorrow and feel the same as I've felt all week. I've never had even a Braxton Hicks contraction, and haven't had my mucus plug fall out. She dropped around week 36 but that's about the only thing that's happened. I'm afraid she's going to be a late baby and we'll have to induce

:(  

Re: did you know you were about to go into labor

• Options

The day I went into labor, I knew it was the real thing.  It was 3 days past my due date, and I started having contrax.  They were really far apart and painless for several hours, but I still knew.  I hadn't had any BH contrax either.

Good luck!  

• Options
    The morning I went into labor, I woke up around 9 and lost my mucus plug.  I had my first contractions about 2 hours later.  When I saw that mucus I knew it'd be that day (even though lots of women lose theirs several days before, I just had a gut feeling).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Only about 5% of women give birth on their actual due date. I agree with PP's- when its time, you'll know.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options

I only felt different the day before.  A backache.  I thought I had a UTI, it was so intermittent and I had no uterine contractions.  I actually never felt a uterine contraction- the backache (it felt like a back spasm) just got more intense and I was able to time them so I knew that was it.

Your baby may not arrive for another week or 2.  Hang in there, she'll come when she's ready!

• Options
    I did and didn't if that makes any sense. Friday I had BH contractions increasing through the day. I was on my feet shopping and getting things done, so no wonder they were increasing (but not the real thing) no pain at all. The next day I had to work a 3-11 shift and I had only one or two BH contractions the whole day. Big letdown. I went home, and stayed up watching TV, and ate some ramon noodles. Out of the blue while sitting on the couch I feel a sharp contraction and felt a "pop". My water then broke. So, considering the false contractions were close to 3 mins apart, they werent legit contractions. The next day, like I said I only had a few, so at that point I had no idea labor would start just before I was going to go to bed. I should have known something was up I guess.
  • Options
    Well with my 5 year old I was induced so no but my 13 year old was born at 36 weeks exactly and the day my water broke I got this crazy energy and started cleaning and baking like a crazy person. Did I know I was going to go into labor, not at all but I consider those things signs now that I can look back.
    Allison Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mine came on suddenly and in full force, but i ignored the first 3 contractions for fear that it was false labor.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Your experience is similar to my first. DD dropped around 36 weeks, I never had any BH, blood show, no MP falling out, nothing.

I went to 41 weeks 2 days before she decided to come out. I woke up with my first contraction and they continued throughout the day. By 11pm, I was in active labor and I had her by 1pm the next day. So, there were no signs for me. 

Good Luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Don't worry about induction! If you're healthy and baby's healthy, you should just wait until baby comes. 

2 thoughts for you to consider:

1: I read somewhere that women, on average, deliver their 1st child at 41 weeks, 3 days.

2. I also read that as soon as the baby's lungs are fulling developed, they release a chemical that triggers your contractions.  From the experience of friends with babies in NICU with lung issues, you want those lungs fully developed.  

• Options
    In hindsight, this made sense but at the time no... I was at 39 weeks and highly miserable, of course. My ob had been telling me I would go early based on my effacement/dilation but so far nothing. The afternoon the day before for several hours I just felt plain out weird - I was highly agitated, annoyed by every coworker and just completely out of sorts. I left my desk and walked around awhile. My boss called me at home that night b/c I had told him I felt weird. By then it was gone and I told him I was fine and would be in the next day. Heh. I woke up at 4am and gave birth at 7am. Needless to say this time around I'll pay more attention to my "weird" feelings.
  • Options

The day of, I had an inkling that something was going on.  I was having contractions on and off and I just felt weird, so we even went to bed early to get a little extra rest.

FWIW, I went to almost 42 weeks with DS.  It was uncomfortable, but not that big a deal.  Most first time moms don't go into labor until after their due date.  I think the average is 41w1d.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I did have BH contractions with both pregnancies (and with this one) which I would just describe as a "tightening" of my abdomen.  Also, when I have BH my bump looks really weird, like it's shrimk-wrapped around the baby.

With the real thing, I felt contractions that were different from the BH I'd been having, starting very spread out and early in the morning.  I could still function all day, but had to find comfortable positions when the contractions hit.  Kinda had to stop for each contraction.  They would start really spread apart (30 mins or more) and very gradually get closer and closer until it was obvious they were A)uncomfortable,  B)coming at somewhat regular (albeit shortening) intervals, and C) seemed to be getting stronger.

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Sunday I felt like crapp all day.  All I wanted to do was be left alone and sleep. 

Monday morning I lost my mucus plug when I woke up and went to the bathroom.  I was have BH all day and just couldn't sit still or get comfortable.  I left work at lunch time.  I started having real contractions around 9 pm that night.

DD was born 1:42 pm the next day :-).  Looking back how I felt on Sunday was a sign.

• Options
    imagethebigmare:

Don't worry about induction! If you're healthy and baby's healthy, you should just wait until baby comes. 

2 thoughts for you to consider:

1: I read somewhere that women, on average, deliver their 1st child at 41 weeks, 3 days.

2. I also read that as soon as the baby's lungs are fulling developed, they release a chemical that triggers your contractions.  From the experience of friends with babies in NICU with lung issues, you want those lungs fully developed.  

I disagree with this.  There are a lot of stats out there, all dependent on different factors I am sure.  I read 4 days late is common for first pregnancies ( and that 75% are late). 

Also that most babies lungs are developed in th 37th week, but the organs all continue to strengthen in the following weeks.  Also that most dr's induce at 41 weeks 3 days, because at this point it actually becomes more dangerous to leave the baby in there due to a number of factors.  (I read this online, saw it on "The Doctors" and was also re-affirmed when my dr told me why they have a policy to induce at this point.  I would follow your doctors advice, and if it reaches that point induction isn't the end of the world ( I would prefer not to be induced definitely, but I know many people who were and had perfectly fine deliveries).

No need to be scared of it, I am anxious to see my baby, but if I make it that far ( my due date was actually yesterday, it changed, contrary to my ticker) I think a little help to push him along will be fine.

• Options

I had a ton of discharge for about a week but it wasn't fluid.

On Wednesday I lost my MP and was emotionally spent.

Had appt. on Thursday and they said I wouldn't last the weekend.

Friday night my water broke.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

With my first I thought I was going into labor every day.  I'd have a few contractions, or I'd get weird discharge, or my pinky toe would hurt... I was SO anxious!

With this one I am pretty certain I'll either make it to my induction date on the 27th or have him on Christmas Eve!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"