Pre-School and Daycare

So sad and devastated

A guy I work with had a 2 year old daughter.  He and his wife were at work a few days ago when she came down with a fever.  The babysitter gave her Tylenol - exactly the right way.  No one knew it but she had some heart illness - I don't know all the details of exactly what it was.  But the Tylenol interacted and she stopped breathing.  She was brain dead before my co-worker even got home to her.  Yesterday, she was taken off of life support and died. 

It's just so random and so so sad.  That shouldn't happen to a 2 year old.  I'm devastated for my co-worker and his wife.  I can't even imagine the shock of just going to work and then hearing that news.  It's every parents worst nightmare.  And right before Christmas?  They probably had her presents all wrapped and ready to go- can you imagine the heartbreak when they take them out of the closet and know she'll never get to open them?  The holiday season is ruined for them forever.   Ok- I have to stop- I'm just in tears over it.

Hug your LO's really tight tonight.  I haven't let go of mine since I heard what happened her her.

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: So sad and devastated

• Ugh. How devastating!  My T&P to them.  Sad.
  • My heart goes out to those parents (and the babysitter - she must feel awful even though she didn't do anything wrong).  Especially so close to the holidays, that's just terrible.  No one should have to lose a child.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Saying a prayer for the family now. This is my biggest fear (as all moms).
  • That is heartbreaking.  :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• Oh that's so horrible.  How can a heart defect that easily effected by Tylenol go undetected until age 2?  I'm sure there are no answers of blame but as the parents that part would really bother me.
  • That is heartbreaking. I can not imagine. :( t&p for the family
  • I'm in tears! That is so terrible and tragic. I'm so sorry for them. Most of us wouldn't think anything of giving tylenol to our kids. Prayers sent... :(
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imagejsugrin:
    Oh that's so horrible.  How can a heart defect that easily effected by Tylenol go undetected until age 2?  I'm sure there are no answers of blame but as the parents that part would really bother me.

Not a heart defect.  It was an illness that apparently affected the heart - like a virus or bacteria or something.  It only manifested itself with a fever so the parents had no idea anything was wrong with her heart.  I don't know if it could have been avoided- I mean what pediatrician tests for heart viruses when a child has a slight fever?  It was just a freaky rare thing but all of our worst nightmares.

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• I can't imagine. God bless them.
  • That is terrible. So heartbreaking. :(
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • That is so unfair and terrible.  My nephew has a heart defect, and I feel so glad that we found out before something happened to him.  Many of the people I met in the course of his treatment were not as lucky.  I am sorry for your friends.
  • That's awful, what a nightmare! I hope they have someone to go through her stuff and take out her Christmas presents for them (if that's what they want; I wouldn't want to have to do it myself). T & Ps.
  • That is just so sad.  I will be thinking of them.  I cannot even begin to imagine what they are going through.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • That is so tragic and heartbreaking. Right before the holidays definitely makes the loss even harder, I know. I am in tears for that poor family -- and the babysitter too. I would be absolutely devastated. :(

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • that is so sad and totally shocking. TandP for the family, friends and babysitter of that poor angel. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • How devastating. I am at a loss for words... I will be praying for everyone.
    231IMG_7435002IMG_7756
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"