VBAC
Options

Random VBAC updates - feel free to join in!

I just need to let out all the VBAC stuff that is going on lately, and I'm sure others could use the opportunity, too - so, feel free to tag on your own!

I have realized that it was a fabulous idea not to discuss my VBAC much, as now my mother has said "if they tell you they need a c/s, you go right ahead and do it!".  Fortunately, after I told her that the additional risks that they're concerned of is only .5% (yeah, so I gave the lower limit) she seemed a bit more at ease.  Then I'd told a friend (who had had a relatively long recovery from a vaginal birth) that I was going for the VBAC and had switched providers and hospitals, and got the 'vaginal birth isn't as glamorous as they make it seem'.  That was all in the last 24 hours, so I think I'm done telling anyone else now for a while.

...and I have the tour of the hospital today.  I'm still nervous about switching, as this hospital doesn't have the wireless monitors that the other does, and frankly I'd been counting on that with the GBS+ diagnosis and for my own comfort. I need to write down all the questions that I need to ask - of course I've forgotten most of them...  ah joy.

and I've decided that I do need to work more at being confident about this birth.  Maybe I shall start doing some visualizations of going into labor and psyching myself up that I can handle the contractions.  I admit, I am more nervous about L&D this time than last - I think because this time I know there's that other option of a c/s and I 'know' what that's like, even though it caused a lot of emotional pain after the fact.  Last time it was just something I was going to have to do (or so I thought).  I'm also freaked out because I was in such better shape last time around.  I'd done so much walking (I was due in August, so temps and the fact that I had a flexible job and no toddler made walks easy) that I felt like I had that stamina.  This time, it's icy out, I have work until 4:30 each day, at which point it's dark, and even when we were getting out to walk, we had a toddler that didn't like to be carried or use a stroller on walks, which meant a lot of really, really slow walking or bike riding.  I'm feeling the aches and pains a bit more this time around, and I'm worried that I won't have the stamina for labor. 

Anyhow - thanks for the chance for the verbal diarrhea, as it were.  It's good to just get it out there.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Random VBAC updates - feel free to join in!

• Options

I'm not around here much, so forgive me if it's been mentioned...but if you haven't already, get your hands on this book (I checked it out from the library)

https://www.amazon.com/Ina-Mays-Guide-Childbirth-Gaskin/dp/0553381156/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292609866&sr=8-1

It was so inspiring.  I read it about a week before my due date and it really gave me the extra umph I needed.  I was confident about a vbac before-but after I read it I was absolutely positive that I could do it!

Don't listen to the general public.  Your Mom & Friend I'm sure just mean well, don't want you to be dissapointed, etc.  But, you have to tune out the negative and focus on what is best for you!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Nathan 7-13-06 ~ Elizabeth 4-12-09 ~ Zachary 8-5-11
  • Options
    imageKapalua:

It was so inspiring.  I read it about a week before my due date and it really gave me the extra umph I needed.  I was confident about a vbac before-but after I read it I was absolutely positive that I could do it!

Thanks!  I have read Ina May's Guide - it was a fabulous book!  I'm actually reading Spiritual Midwifery at the moment - good, but not quite as incredible.  I think I do just need to tune out the bad at the moment, because I think it is getting to me a bit again...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Vaginal birth may not be glamorous at all, but it is totally amazing, and does make you feel like super woman when it's all over- the feeling that your body has done what it was designed for.  Don't listen to your friend!
  • Options

I'm having another off-moment today, as well. And my doula caused it! I emailed her and told her if she isn't 100% supportive of my choices I understand, but I need to know about it so I can find someone else. She keeps trying to convince me I need back-up care.

I have to say, the entire reason for me choosing to do hypnobabies has been for the calming effect is has now. I handled back labor that was induced with pitocin with no pain meds, so the discomfort of labor is not at all the reason I am doing this. 

also, check into rescue remedy. I just bought some at vitamin shoppe after the encouragement of my HBAC listserv ....it's supposed to calm you down within 10-20 min of using it. I'm trying it out today.

The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Options

Thanks, delsurfgirl.  That does help. :)

imageJoelsGirl07:
    I have to say, the entire reason for me choosing to do hypnobabies has been for the calming effect is has now. I handled back labor that was induced with pitocin with no pain meds, so the discomfort of labor is not at all the reason I am doing this. 

also, check into rescue remedy. I just bought some at vitamin shoppe after the encouragement of my HBAC listserv ....it's supposed to calm you down within 10-20 min of using it. I'm trying it out today.

I'm going to go download a few of the hypnobabies tracks, I think.  I can't afford the entire thing, but it'd be nice to check out one or two of the VBAC ones.  

Let me know how the rescue remedy works for you.  I have heard of something similar that works well, but can't remember what it's called...

• Options
    imageJoelsGirl07:

I'm having another off-moment today, as well. And my doula caused it! I emailed her and told her if she isn't 100% supportive of my choices I understand, but I need to know about it so I can find someone else. She keeps trying to convince me I need back-up care.

Sorry to hear that about your doula! She should not be trying to convince you of anything! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"