Parenting after 35
Options

stress of being working mom with sick baby

M has a double ear infection with fever, so she can't be at daycare until she's fever-free for 24 hours. My company has backup care--both an in-office daycare center and, if the kid is mildly sick, they'll send someone to your home for in-home care. I set up in-home care yesterday. This AM, the caregiver called to say she couldn't find parking. I was able to direct her to a garage that's about 3 min away from my apt. That was an hour and a half ago, and I can't get her on the phone (I hope nothing happened to her). The agency can't get her on the phone either. So now I have to wait here at home until the agency can restaff. I kinda just need to know if someone is going to come or not so I can tell work for sure. And it's a busy day today, so NOT a good day to be out.

Whenever M gets sick, the work part is the part that stresses me out the most--who will take the day off, etc. (She's a tough chick so I know she'll be fine and healthy in no time.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: stress of being working mom with sick baby

• Options

Wow - what a wonderful company to have two forms of back up daycare - but that only works if she actually shows up.

• Options
    I know, I am so so so lucky that my company offers this! I'm sure today's experience is the exception rather than the rule.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hopefully she shows up soon or calls!

Since Logan has been born I haven't had to worry about this because DH is home with him during the day.

I remember it vividly from when my older boys were little though. It's extremely stressful, esp when you have a boss who isn't understanding about these kinds of things.

Hope M feels better soon!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Wow, I hope she is OK. Great policy your company has though.

I know what you mean about the stress. I am always the one who has to leave when I get the daycare call. DH is a teacher and can't just take off in the middle of the day. I feel like my colleagues now just look at me as a "mommy" and roll their eyes every time I have take time off because of the baby (even though I am not taking any time that is not sick or vacation leave and I frequently work while I am home off the clock). While my company is theoretically "family friendly' my program is not- out of 7 adults in my group, I am the only one with a kid.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageM.Amy:

Wow - what a wonderful company to have two forms of back up daycare - but that only works if she actually shows up.

ditto this.  Did she show?  Since I've been back to work, Ellie has been so sick with daycare cooties that she's been out 4-5 days and AAIGH!  Not only is the work stress bad, but the fact that my baby is sick and unhappy breaks my heart. GL

• Options
    Okay, update: The first woman still is MIA--even the agency she's with can't get in touch with her. I hope nothing bad happened to her! But they were able to find another caregiver, who should be here soon. Thank goodness! I would typically just take the sick day, but I'm out most of next week and we're closing an issue, so I have lots to get done today. Luckily M is doing fine--a slight fever, but she was happily playing all morning and now is taking a nap. At least I got some extra bonus time with her today! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"