Health & Exercise
Options

In need of a pep talk.

I am on week three of working out and have gained 2.5 pounds.  I now exercise 5 days a week, where before I had been doing nothing.  I was just so very tired all the time and didn't want to do anythig.

I was 134.5 when I started (would like to be 120).  I am doing zumba 2 times a week, doing couch to 5K training, some elliptical, and other odds and ends in there.  I've cut soda down tremendously.  I had made some dietary changes previously and lost about 5 before I started.

So now I am 136.8.  Logically, I know how this works - muscle weighs more than fat, and I likely had very little muscle previously.  But it is still discouraging.  Just power through it, right?  I only wish I had an idea when the numbers would start turning around.  And yes, the numbers are important to me because at my height, 135 is the higher end of the weight range.

ETA - Oh, and I know I don't really have strength training in there, but I try to fit it in when I can.  I don't have access to a gym, and I haven't found my weights.  They've been misplaced since we finished our basement!

Jesse - mommy of Brooke 6/15/06 and Taylor 9/1/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: In need of a pep talk.

• Options

Take a deep breath.  hang in there and get off the scale.  Do yourself a favor and don't step on a scale for at least 1-2 months.  It sounds like you are doing alot with exercise ( I am not the best motivator for strength training... I hate it, but know it is good), take a look at your diet.  Substitute protein versus simple carbohydrates at times.  Eat 3 meals a day and 2-3 snacks concentrating on complex carbs, veggies/fruits and healthy proteins.  Realistically it has only been three weeks.  Pat yourself on the back, you are doing great and hang in there. 

• Options
    I would measure instead of weigh! I did boot camp and the scale didn't budge! I was so pissed. Then they measured us and I'd lost 4" off my waist, 3" off my hips, 1" off each thigh and each arm! So you may be getting great results and not realize!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hang in there!  You are doing an amazing thing for youself & your family! 

So I am in total agreement with the PP who said ditch the scales.  Right now you need to focus on measurements or body fat percentage.  Or a really simple way is just to judge how your clothes are fitting.

How has your eating been since you started working out?  I hate to bring this up but there is no way you would see a big muscle gain after only 2 weeks of working out & especially as you mentioned you were not doing much strength training.  My guess is that because of starting to workout you are a little hungrier than usual & may be eating a little bit more (this is very common & I see it more often than not in my line of work)

What you also need to think about & I know a lot of people have a hard time getting their heads around this - for weight loss your diet needs to be spot on whether you are calorie counting, eating clean, Weight Watchers or whatever your choice is.  Honestly you could never set foot in a gym & watch your diet carefully & you would still lose weight.  On the other hand you could be working out 2 hours a day & consuming a bunch of calories & not lose a lb. 

It is striving to find a balance between the two that is the tricky part!  Get your diet right, up your H20 intake & paired with the working out you should see that weight drop off really quickly!

• Options
    Try yoga.  I was running 4 days and doing yoga 1 day, and I too was gaining weight, then I switched to yoga 5 days and running one and I started dropping again.  GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"