2nd Trimester
Options

Scared to stop taking Prometrium

I'm scared to stop taking my Prometrium.  At my last appt my dr. said I could stop taking it, but I had just refilled my rx (and that stuff is not cheap) and it scares me to just stop taking it.  My initial level was 17.9 and my doctor put me on it as a precaution.  Anyone still taking it?
BFP #1: 9/26/10 DD: 5/2011
BFP #2: 7/23/14 - MC: 8/28/14
BFP #3: 2/22/15 - MC: 3/3/15
BFP #4: 5/20/15 - Stick baby stick!!!

Re: Scared to stop taking Prometrium

• Options

I totally understand your fear, but at this point, your body is producing so much progesterone that this suppliment is barely a drop in the bucket. If your doctor wants you to stop taking it, I think you need to listen to them.

I was on Endometrin twice a day from trigger to week 8. We then went down to once a day for a week, every other day for another week, and then done.

By this time in your pregnancy, the placenta has taken over, and the suppliments aren't really contributing much. I know it's scary - I know, I had a hard time stopping as well - but it's best to listen to the experts.

Good luck.

• Options

I am still on Prometrium and my doctor has recommended I stay on it until the end of my pregnancy as a precaution....

don't be scared, your doctor knows what he's talking about!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was not on prometrium, but I was on progesterone suppositories after my itial b/w showed my level at 9.2.  I stayed on them until week 14, which was weeks longer than my RE told me I needed to take them b/c my placenta had taken over.  I know exactly how you feel, it was so hard for me to stop using them and I spent a lot of time stressing about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was also nervous to stop taking it, but I did at the end of 1st trimester when my doctor said I no longer needed it. I know it's scary, but at this point, as a PP said, you are producing enough progesterone on your own.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    I was scared too...but i believed in the doctor and stopped at 13 weeks. They had me ween off of them. The placenta has taken over at this point. I would do what your doctor says.
  • Options

My levels were 17 and I was put on it as a precaution for the first trimester.  By 12/13 weeks the placenta takes over harmone creation needed to sustain the pregnancy and your overies stop. 

I was a nervous wreck to stop at 12 weeks as per my OB, but was really thankful that I started to feel so much better once I stopped.  I think it was making me sicker towards the end as my own production probably went up.

So far, all is good and the pregnancy and baby are progressing normally.  Have you talked to your doctor about your concerns?

Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I understand your fears.  After 4 CPs, I took prometrium through 10 weeks with my pg with my son and I took injectible progesterone through 10 weeks with this pg.

Its really ok to stop taking it....progesterone supplements will really only help in the beginning before the placenta has taken over progesterone production, which, at 15 weeks, is going on in full force.  It will be ok.  Step away from the pills :)

imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• Options
    Thanks ladies for the advice.  I needed you all to "talk me off the ledge."  My doctor told me to start to ween myself off by going down to 1 pill and then in a few days stop taking them all together.  I'll have to admit I do like that they put me right to sleep at night, but I think they may also be causing me to wake up at 3 and 5 every morning.  My doctor said that once she can hear the hb on the doppler she takes her patients off of the prometrium.
    BFP #1: 9/26/10 DD: 5/2011
    BFP #2: 7/23/14 - MC: 8/28/14
    BFP #3: 2/22/15 - MC: 3/3/15
    BFP #4: 5/20/15 - Stick baby stick!!!
  • Options
    I'd listen to your doctor.  I stopped taking them at 13 or 14 weeks.  I was a little nervous, but prometrium can cause not good side effects so it it's safe to be off them, I'd stop taking them. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"