Parenting after 35
Options

Help! Does this sound like a nursing strike?

I posted this on the Breastfeeding board but haven't gotten any responses yet, so I'm hoping maybe you all have some ideas.  I have been doing pretty well BFing Noah for the past several weeks, but for the last couple days we've had some weird feeding sessions that today culminated in him apparently refusing to nurse.  Initially, he started feeding off just one side for a couple of sessions when he has always up till now fed off both.  Then today, he hasn't had a decent feeding since 10:30 this morning (it's now 6pm).  He will nurse for a few minutes on one side then cries and fusses if I try to get him to latch again on either side.  We tried having DH give him a bottle and he didn't want that either, just played with it.  I have continued to try offering him the breast about every half hour or so and he will latch and suck for a min, and I think he's getting milk b/c he gets some on his face, but then he comes off and fusses and cries if I try to get him to latch again.

He's had a lot of wet diapers today and a couple big poopy ones.  He is sleeping a lot too; slept late this morning, took a long 2 hr nap this afternoon, and is back to sleep again now.  He isn't acting hungry or fussy when I'm not trying to feed him, although like I said he seems to be more sleepy and wants to be held more. 

Is this something wrong with me, like maybe something I ate or something?  Or could he be sick?  He doesn't have a fever.  He had an ear infection a couple weeks ago and had a course of antibiotics that ended last Thursday, so I wouldn't think that would be it.  We have a pedi appt tomorrow to check that ear out so I guess I'll find out about that part for sure at least.  I'm just really worried about why he doesn't seem to want to eat.  Anyone have a similar experience?  If he isn't acting hungry then should I just assume he really isn't?  Any thoughts are appreciated!

Eleanor Paige, born 3/27/08 Noah Christopher, born 10/2/10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Help! Does this sound like a nursing strike?

• Options
    This may be a TMI question, but do you think you might be getting your cycle? I noticed a decrease in her nursing right before I started AF. I just nursed through it and as long as she had wet diapers I tried not to worry. easier said than done.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hmmm, I don't know.  Almost sounds like he's tired and fighting something?  Ellie did have days when she wasn't overly interested in nursing, but it never lasted more than a day.  Sorry, not much help; hope your pedi has answers and GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Maybe he's having a bit of a growth spurt?  Or maybe, though unlikely, but maybe it's teething?

If he still has wet dipes and poopy dipes, he's probably fine.  I hope he drinks well again soon so you don't have to call the doc! 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    i wouldn't worry too much since no fever, normal activity when not nursing,and wet and dirty diapers. babies go through cycles. sometimes they eat a lot. sometimes they sleep a lot. it usually has something to do with growing spurts. maybe next week he will be voracious and you will worry that you aren't making enough milk (been through this plenty. the worries never cease!). I am sure your pedi tomorrow will ease your concerns.
  • Options

Thank you all so much - I just feel lots better knowing others have had similar experiences!  To be honest, I'm feeling pretty foolish and paranoid now because about 5 min after I posted, he woke up from an abbreviated nap and had a great nursing session!  So I'm sure it is as you all said and he is just going through some sort of phase.  I swear, every time I think I'm getting the hang of this breastfeeding business, something else comes up! 

I'll still be glad to see the pedi tomorrow and get him a clean bill of health!

Eleanor Paige, born 3/27/08 Noah Christopher, born 10/2/10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Looks like it's getting resolved - glad to hear that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It could be something you ate, you could try an elimination diet, I did that for a week when Simon was a newborn, but he had reflux.  Could Noah have reflux?  Or do you have a fast letdown?  Those could be 2 reasons for pulling off quickly, although screaming and arching the back usually accompany reflux.  Let us know what the Pedi says but you could also consult a lactation nurse.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"