Parenting after 35
Options

Think I discovered the secret to getting baby to sleep longer!

So I keep S's room at 70 every night using an oil heater since the rest of our house is at 63.  He tends to get cold hands and feet and sleeps better when he is warm.   I just keep the heater vent in his room closed so the portable heater keeps the room at a constant temp. (there's a thermometer in his room)  A few times before I accidentally turned his heater up too high and it was around 73, and I noticed that those nights he slept more than 12 hours.  Well, last night his room was 75 and I didn't want to go in and wake him by turning down the heater, and he was wearing thin cotton pj's so I knew he wouldn't cook, and he ended up sleeping 14 hours!!!  (7 p.m. till 9 a.m.)  He woke up happy and playing and wasn't hot or sweaty...coincidence?  Or am I onto something here?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Think I discovered the secret to getting baby to sleep longer!

• Options
    Yes, Jason also sleeps better in a warmer room. Erin still doesn't sleep regardless of the temperature being 6 weeks old... Hopefully she starts sleeping soon...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageateytelb:
    Yes, Jason also sleeps better in a warmer room. Erin still doesn't sleep regardless of the temperature being 6 weeks old... Hopefully she starts sleeping soon...

UGH, I remember when S was 6 to 8 weeks old, that was the worst time in his life for sleeping!  I spent half the night driving him around in the car, putting him in his swing, wearing him, putting his carseat on the dryer...all the tricks to get babies to sleep and nothing worked.  Then at 8 weeks it got better, so hang in there, it won't last forever!  In fact I think the Weissbluth book said that 7 weeks old is when their sleep problems peak.  Good luck, sending lots of sleepy dust Erin's way!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Margaux has a magic zone, any warmer or cooler and she gets wiggly.  72 Is the top end, I think, and 66 the bottom.
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    OK I'm SO jealous. Sabrina has never even slept 12 hours! Never!
    click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's the same with Betty Jane. She likes a toasty room. If it's too cold she's crabbin' all night long. If it's warm (at least 75) she sleeps like a dream... and so do mom and dad :-)
  • Options
    Sarah sleeps best between 68 and 72. In summer, when it was hot for a couple of nights, she slept worst, very restlessly. Her thermostat is on 70 while we keep the rest of the house at 63 at night.
  • Options
    imagemtnrider:

UGH, I remember when S was 6 to 8 weeks old, that was the worst time in his life for sleeping!  I spent half the night driving him around in the car, putting him in his swing, wearing him, putting his carseat on the dryer...all the tricks to get babies to sleep and nothing worked.  Then at 8 weeks it got better, so hang in there, it won't last forever!  In fact I think the Weissbluth book said that 7 weeks old is when their sleep problems peak.  Good luck, sending lots of sleepy dust Erin's way!

Thanks! Haven't tried the carseat+dryer combination yet. Maybe I should, just for the record.

• Options

i definitely think you are on to something, and last night i had a related epiphany; DD's room tends to be colder than the rest of the house (go figure since it is upstairs...weird. but i digress)

and for the last month she has been sleeping soooo shittily. it's been driving us up a wall trying to solve her sleep problems, seriously.

so last night it occurred to me to put a heating pad down in her crib to warm up the sheets while i nursed her, then right before putting her down we took it out and placed her on the warm spot. out like a light till morning! DH bowed down to me and told me i am a genius!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"