Health & Exercise
Options

If you use the child care at your gym.....

How old was your LO when you first used it? How did it go? My gym will take 8 weeks and up and I've been trying to take my 5 month old for the past month. Out of 7 times I've been paged to pick him up 4 times. Today I didn't even get a chance to start because he freaked out as soon as we came in. I made sure to bring him in asleep and the woman working there put his carseat on the floor before I could say anything and let another baby come up into his face and woke him up. Grrrr  It's totally frustrating when you're all set to work out and you have to leave.  So, how did your LO cope with the child care? Is 4/5 mos too young? Is my kid especially difficult and clingy?

Re: If you use the child care at your gym.....

• Options
    We started at about 12 weeks. She's always been really good with meeting new people and having different people hold her. They've never paged me or anything before. We always bring a few bottles and stuff. But if she's particularly cranky, we won't take her and my husband and I will take turns going. Keep trying. Don't give up.
  • Options
    We've been taking LO since 6 weeks and never been paged.  Does your gym have certified infant care or are they just "watchers?"  We looked at a gym before joining our current that basically just watched your kid and they would page you the minute they needed anything.  We obviously didn't like that idea.  Our current gym is great, has a super nice clean infant room, great workers and will do whatever the baby needs, diaper change, feeding, rocking, playing, etc.  So it may not be that your baby is high needs, you may just need a better gym.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagebethanylang:
    We've been taking LO since 6 weeks and never been paged.  Does your gym have certified infant care or are they just "watchers?"  We looked at a gym before joining our current that basically just watched your kid and they would page you the minute they needed anything.  We obviously didn't like that idea.  Our current gym is great, has a super nice clean infant room, great workers and will do whatever the baby needs, diaper change, feeding, rocking, playing, etc.  So it may not be that your baby is high needs, you may just need a better gym.

Seriously? Gyms do that? I had no idea. I just started taking him a few weeks ago and I thought maybe I just waited too long and the stranger anxiety started up. Normally DS lets anyone hold him but usually its in my presence but he gets stressed the minute we get to the gym daycare. And yes, they are just "watchers" the second he cries I have to go get him. I may as well find another gym seeing as I can only go on weekends when DH will watch him. I'm in Austin, what kind of gym do you go to in Houston? Maybe there is one here...

• Options
    We waited until he was almost 4 months old. I'm really nervous everytime I bring him, but so far so good, and no pages. Have you tried bringing him right after you feed him? I find that works best for us, he's just had a nap and is full and changed so I have about a 1.5 hour happy window to work with. I also try to go at the least busy times so he's not just left sitting in his carseat which he HATES.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageBabyLaLa07:

imagebethanylang:

Seriously? Gyms do that? I had no idea. I just started taking him a few weeks ago and I thought maybe I just waited too long and the stranger anxiety started up. Normally DS lets anyone hold him but usually its in my presence but he gets stressed the minute we get to the gym daycare. And yes, they are just "watchers" the second he cries I have to go get him. I may as well find another gym seeing as I can only go on weekends when DH will watch him. I'm in Austin, what kind of gym do you go to in Houston? Maybe there is one here...

I started with my DD when she was about 9 weeks old. I go to my local YMCA and they are great. They will try to comfort the babies when they cry, give them a bottle, etc. If they can't calm them down in 10-15 minutes then they will get the parent.

Good luck!

• Options

imagebethanylang:
     Our current gym is great, has a super nice clean infant room, great workers and will do whatever the baby needs, diaper change, feeding, rocking, playing, etc.  So it may not be that your baby is high needs, you may just need a better gym.

Our gym does this too-they will try everything to calm your baby down.  I've only had them come get me a handful of times (and I have 3 kids).  I think they'll try for up to half an hour to calm the babies down.  I love our childcare!  All of my kids have gone since they were 12 weeks old and I would have taken them sooner if the gym allowed. 

• Options
    Ok I guess my gym isn't trying very hard. I make every effort to bring him after he's eaten, with a clean diaper, before he's too tired, but maybe tired enough to fall asleep on the car ride over, and still, he cries. It's the only time he ever cries like that. It's the only time I ever leave with strangers ins a strange place too. But the minute he cries, even if I'm just trying to get a 30 min workout in, then bam... I have to go fetch him. Even then they'll say "he just started crying" so they're not doing much for infants. I even brought him in asleep yesterday and the girl let some other baby wake him up immediately. I was furious.
  • Options
    imageBabyLaLa07:

imagebethanylang:

The one we go to is called "Villa Sport" it is seriously my lifesaver.  There were days in the beginning I would take LO and just go to the spa!  Keep looking around, I'm sure you can find one to better suite your needs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"