Philadelphia Babies
Options

Hospitals

Hello all,

I'm new to the board as I am new to being pregnant :)  I need to find an ob/gyn in the area (I live in Delco) as my regular gynecologist (who I wasn't crazy about in the first place) does not do ob anymore.  I would love to find a midwife, but they all seem to be located at Delaware County Memorial, which is too far from my house.  It looks like my options are Riddle, Crozer, and Lankenau.  Any thoughts/opinions?  I know there is a post farther down about Lankenau in particular, but I wondered about the others.  Any pointersr would be appreciated!

Re: Hospitals

• Options
    Wasn't there just a post recently about Lakenau getting rid of their LC's?

That would be a big deal for me, and I would make sure to check that out!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I go to Han Physicians for Women, who are based out of Crozer. They have offices at Crozer, in Ridley and Glen Mills. While I have yet to give birth, I like the obgyn's fine. The thing that really bothers me about Crozer though is their policy on not allowing the baby to be with you in recovery if you have a c section. The baby goes to the nursery and you're reunited when you go to a postpartum room, which can be an hour to two hours later. It was a toss up distance-wise between Riddle and Crozer. Had I known that when choosing a hospital, I never would've chosen Crozer.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I also live in Delco (Glenolden) and my first choice would have been Crozer, just because it is probably the closest.  However, my insurance only covers Main Line Hospitals so I went from Jefferson (which I hated) to Riddle and I LOVE it there.  The staff are so so nice and make you feel very comfortable and the doctors are always open to questions, get back to you in a timely manner if you call, and really make you feel like you are being taken care of. This being my first pregnancy, I have about a million and a half questions and concerns, and they are ready to answer all of them.  I'm very excited for the rest of the pregnancy and to deliver there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options

First I admit to knowing NOTHING about delco except its approximate location. With that said are you too far from Bryn Mawr? We used the birth center there and were THRILLED, We had to transfer to Bryn Mawr hospital after 3 days in labor and were equally thrilled with our experience there.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I like Dr. Isaac with Riddle OBGYN. From what I have heard of the hospital and the birth center there, it looks like all in all it will be a good experience.

In terms of wanting a mid-wife...the only place I saw that sounds more like this would be the Birth Center in Bryn Mawr. It is definitely something you may want to check out if you would like a more non-traditional birthing experience. 

Best of luck!

• Options
    imagecmr4828:

I like Dr. Isaac with Riddle OBGYN. From what I have heard of the hospital and the birth center there, it looks like all in all it will be a good experience.

In terms of wanting a mid-wife...the only place I saw that sounds more like this would be the Birth Center in Bryn Mawr. It is definitely something you may want to check out if you would like a more non-traditional birthing experience. 

Best of luck!

Sorry, this is my soap box. Using a midwife and not having a lot of interventions is the most traditional way of having a baby in every other country in the world. It is non-traditional to most Americans, but it is the most traditional way to have a baby.
    ::steps off soap box::

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemzovoce:
    imagecmr4828:

Best of luck!

Sorry, this is my soap box. Using a midwife and not having a lot of interventions is the most traditional way of having a baby in every other country in the world. It is non-traditional to most Americans, but it is the most traditional way to have a baby.
    ::steps off soap box::

I was a TBC client also.  I ended up getting transferred to Bryn Mawr Hospital for an emergency c-section.  I VBACed my second child at Montgomery Hospital with a wonderful midwife (TBC can't do VBACs).  But I agree that there is nothing wrong with a TRADITIONAL midwife delivery (and prenatal care).  I love it.  I even interviewed a Bryn Mawr Hospital OB/GYN for my second pregnancy and he suggested that I would be better with a midwife since it was clear that I did not want to be told what to do and he fully admitted that is what doctors tend to do.  He was right that I am a midwife girl all the way;-)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    Where are you in Delco exactly - I'm guessing further south if Delco Mem Hosp in Drexel Hill is too far?  For midwives (who are GREAT) -  maybe the ones at the Wilmington Birth Center are close enough for you?  They are not more than a few minutes down 95 from delco.
    Lori ~ mom to 2 boys, wife, doula, and childbirth educator - www.delcodoula.com
  • Options
    For OB I LOVED Dr. Sharon Rudo with Main Line Health system in Broomall - the other Dr's - Laveran and Heinzel are also fantastic.  They deliver at Lankenau where I had both my girls and was very happy there.
    DD1 01.19.07
    DD2 11.17.08

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"