Parenting after 35
Options

Feel like the coolest aunt in the world!

Most of my nieces and nephew are on the younger side, the oldest being 7, with the exception of my brother's (step)daughter who is 15.  I haven't seen her since I married as we haven't made a visit due to other family obligations and they don't have the money to come see us.  I was stressing about what to get her for Christmas because I just sent her a check for her birthday and didn't want to send her another for Christmas, felt like a cop out.  Her parents were useless in terms of suggesting things.

So I talked to her yesterday for her birthday and we had such a great talk.  I asked her point blank what she would like, she did the usual teenage "I don't know" and I told her answers like that are just a guaranty she gets crap she doesn't want so to think of something or at least suggest giving donations to a cause she cares about if she truly doesn't want anything.  She's on her swim team and said she'd like some more swim caps, funky ones.  And she liked the donation idea.  So I got her two really fun caps (one is a thought bubble on it and the other a shark fin on one side and YIKES! on the other) that aren't available where she lives unless you buy online and a t-shirt from Heifer International.  That plus a sleep mask (she was complaining about how light it was in her room) and some bath gel from B&B and I am the coolest aunt EVER!! 

::strains a muscle patting self on the back:: 

DD -- 5YO
DS -- 3YO

Re: Feel like the coolest aunt in the world!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"