Parenting after 35
Options

NBR-Yummy cookies for Celiacs?

So every year I host the neighborhood cookie swap.  As it turns out, most of the people coming are either Gluten-free or have Celiac disease, which I understand is even more restrictive than just no wheat.

Anybody got a good cookie recipe that doesn't taste like poo-poo caca??  I was all ready to make oatmeal coconut macaroons, but then realized that even oatmeal is bad for Celiacs.

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NBR-Yummy cookies for Celiacs?

• Options
    Sounds like a call out for Kandie!
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    My son has Celiac and I think it is awesome that you're trying to accommodate other people's food allergies and Celiac Disease. Pamela's makes a great chocolate chip cookie mix that can even be dairy free if you want. We use real butter, so it's just gluten-free for us and it tastes great! If you google "gluten-free cookie recipe" you'll probably come up with some great ideas. There are tons of great gluten-free cooking blogs out there. One thing to keep in mind though is that cross-contamination in your kitchen can be a problem for those with Celiac Disease. So, use a brand new stick of butter-- not one that has been touched with a knife that has also touched regular bread. Same goes for peanut butter or any other condiment. Also, any porous cooking utensils or bowls that may have been used for regular baking (rubber spatulas, wooden or plastic cutting boards, plastic bowls, wooden spoons, silipat sheets, etc.) could still have traces of gluten on them that could upset some Celiac's stomachs. A good idea might be to spread foil over your baking sheet. Good luck and thanks for being so aware of others' dietary restrictions!
    Cy (04.02.2008) & June (10.05.2010) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh- and you can find gluten-free oats out there. Bob's Red Mill makes some that is certified gluten-free.
    Cy (04.02.2008) & June (10.05.2010) 
  • Options

Oooh.. thanks about the oats.  That's the one ingredient that would tank my Plan A for cookies.

I'm also thinking about trying to make my mom's caramels.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

How about Holly cookies?  They GF cornflakes, marshmallows, butter, food coloring and cinnamon candies....

Buckeyes - if you make them with GF rice krispies you are good to go.

mini cheesecakes made with GF graham cracker crust

egg nog truffles

That is all I can think of right now...

Cricket's Cadence
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"