Thickness of U @ CS scar? — The Bump
VBAC

Thickness of U @ CS scar?

I had an U/S at 5.5 weeks, and the RE measured that my uterus was only 5mm (I think that was the measurement) thick.  I didn't understand what she was telling me, so I asked if that was "good" or "bad."  Response: not good.  Do drs really consider the thickness of your U at the CS scar when measuring risk?  I'm sorry to sound like an idiot.  I'm at the beginning stages of exploring VBACs.  My previous delivery that ended in a CS with a failed epi was urban-legend like, and I really don't think I could live through a repeat.  Just looking for hope... Thanks!

Re: Thickness of U @ CS scar?

• Honestly, from what I've read that is pretty outdated and not really conclusive to if you'll have any issues with uterine rupture or not. 

Congrats on your pg!!  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • some docs do, but I personally don't think it matters.  Plus, I feel like u/s can be off and when they are measuring mm a little is a lot, you know?

What did you doc say about the thickness and his guess at your success rate?

FWIW, I have never had anyone measure the thickness of my uterus and I pushed my baby out after c/s for breech.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • She doesn't think my chances for a sucessful VBAC are good due to my FTP diagnosis last round.  I think my scar was 3mm...not 5mm.  Anyhow, just doing some preliminary research...especially since I'd have to change OBs if I were to try a VBAC.
  • imagejenna1008:
    She doesn't think my chances for a sucessful VBAC are good due to my FTP diagnosis last round.  I think my scar was 3mm...not 5mm.  Anyhow, just doing some preliminary research...especially since I'd have to change OBs if I were to try a VBAC.

I just posted a blog about FTP.  I really think it is more "failure to wait" though.  I know (and have heard about) plenty of mamas who were diagnosed as FTP with her first pregnancy and still went on to push babies out when the circumstances were different.

I think I would get a second (or third) opinion on VBAC success rate from someone who supports VBAC.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Even if your first c/s was for FTP or CPD, you have a 60%+ chance of having a VBAC.  When you consider that the overall rate of vaginal birth in the US for everyone is only 68%, your odds are really not that different.

If you think you might want a VBAC, I think you should try and meet with another doctor or midwife who is supportive of VBAC and just talk to them about it.   A non-supportive doctor will pretty much tell anyone that VBAC is dangerous and they are not a good candidate, even when the opposite is true.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards