Health & Exercise
Options

Exercise after c-section.

Hey ladies, 

I'm 11 days from my scheduled c-section and can already see my jogging leggings shining from inside of my closet. I've been on modified bed-rest for the majority of 3rd tri so YAY for light at the end of the tunnel.

Okay, so my question is, is walking at an incline and decent pace permissible right after a c-section? Like a week after? I know that I need to get cleared by the doc at 6 weeks pp and that it is going to depend on my particular recovery.....but in general is walking okay right away or is it lumped in with everything else?

TIA! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Exercise after c-section.

• Options
    I'm new to this board, so I probably shouldn't answer, but I will tell you what my doctor told me.  I had a vag delivery and he did clear me for the gym at 5 weeks pp, but he said absolutely no exercise until he cleared me.  I worked out all the way through my pregnancy, I actually went running at the gym the day DD was born.  I would ask your doctor and see what he/she says.  Good Luck in 11 days, I hope everything goes perfect for you! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

As a c-section mama who was very much looking forward to exercising shortly after giving birth and shedding some of the weight, here's what I can tell you:  realistically, you probably won't be able to walk at an incline, etc. like you described until at least 4 weeks pp (unless you're super woman or something...) Wink

The incision will hurt if you move the wrong way, laugh, cough, etc. for a bit, so exercising just really doesn't work during that time.  Assuming that all things heal well, you should ask your doc, but most will say that you can start walking, light exercise by about 5 weeks, and no stomach exercises or major exercises until after 8 weeks, but all docs are different and no two moms/experiences are the same, either.  I was surprised by how long it took me to get back into exercising... didn't happen until around 9 wks pp.

Good luck!!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Visit The Nest!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have had 2 c-sections, both were super easy.  I was up and moving within 2 days, only needed tylenol, and felt fine HOWEVER I was not allowed to exercise (not even a little) until I was cleared by my doctor at 8 weeks post delivery.  He said even though I felt fine (like I could exercise), the incision and internal recovery need the time to heal properly.
  • Options

Technically, you should wait until 6w pp and have your doctor's okay before you start working out again

For me, I felt amazing after my c/s.  I started walking the day we got home from the hospital and was able to go for 3 miles (although it was a very slow pace and avoided hills).  I started a C25k program at 5w and jogged/walked a 5k at 7w pp.

Definitely listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard right now.

CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"