2nd Trimester
Options

Did you pay deductible up front?

If you have a plan where you have to meet your deductible before insurance will pay, is your doctor making you pay your deductible to them up front or are they  just billing the insurance for services or something like that?  I know that the office doesn't bill until after the pregnancy but my ins. changes at the first of the year and they are telling me that I will need to pay my new 2011, $5000 deductible to the doc's office by week 27 or 32. This just doesn't sound right to me, and I have no clue where we would get that kind of money in a short amount of time.  Called ins co and they said that the office could do it this way, but most doctor's don't because they don't know what the total is and if I have overpaid, then they will have to give me a refund.

Re: Did you pay deductible up front?

• Options

My BF had to come up with the MDs fees by week 30, which was about $3,000 and was billed for the hospital balance of $3500. Her insurance sucks.

I have Kaiser and we have to meet the deductible of $500 and then pay 10% of the bill (which ranges in $6Gs to 15Gs depending on vag or c-section).  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We paid our $3,000 deductible over the course of the first three visits.  It sucked, but it's nice now that it's out of the way. 

Luckily our deductible resets April 1, so as long as this baby comes by the end of March, my hospital stay will be "free" haha. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I called my insurance and they told me to wait.  My insurance told me that if you pay your doctors office and the hospital bills first then you are trying to get a refund and it is just a pain in the butt.  I'm just waiting until I get the bill in the mail or sign into the hospital, whichever way they require it.
  • Options
    I had to pay a $225 "OB contract" by December 30th.  Basically they verified my ins and that was the estimated amount thus far they they calculate my ins won't cover for prenatal care.  I could pay it whenever/however I chose since I didn't have a set copay, I could pay any amount towards it as often as I would like.  I also have a $250 deductible for my u/s and blood work but I have met that already (lucky me, I met it just in time for it to start over in January!) but prior to meeting it they would just charge me my portion and now my ins pays 90% of my charges.  I don't know if that helps any since everyone has different ins plans but it sounds ridiculous to expect that kind of money so quickly.  Plus, it is always easier for you to pay what you owe once they bill ins rather than wait for a refund from your doctor's office but they want whatever money they can get right away I'm sure..considering not everyone pays their medical bills maybe they are trying to get whatever they can.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

At my first visit I was given a payment contract.  They figured out how much my services would cost and then broke up the payments over my first few visits.  I had 5 payments to make by the time I was 24 weeks pregnant.  It's nice to have it taken care of.

However, in your case, with such little notice, I would be annoyed.  They should have made it clear to you what their financial expectations were before you were this far along.  I would contact the billing office and see if they can work out some type of payment arrangement with you. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have to pay my ob/mw office there fee upfront by the 32nd week which is $1800 that includes this year $250 ded. & next years 250 ded. They had to adjust the bill becausei was getting other tests they required at the same time as paying them the global maternity fee that went towards the same deductible that was paid to them upfront. If the new year comes and other stuff once again go towards the deductible they once again have to adjust it. Once the deductible is met i only pay 20% which is what i will pay to the hospital.the hard part will be once the baby is born who bills them first because somewhere i will be owed money which will be a pain to get.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    it's my DR.'s policy which is fine with me. I would rather pay gradually then all at once
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yes and it drives me batty.  I tried to be reasonable, they calculated bogus; I can't get reimbursed from my FSA until after they bill insurance; I was seriously considering changing plans; a whole host of things.

They were being unreasonable so in the end they will be the ones getting screwed. 

• Options
    I also have to pay upfront... my doctor and the hospital both. The doctor is $438 and the hospital is about $2000 for me and baby (including deductible). The hospital was great and worked out a payment plan with me that works with my budget. Call them and talk to them about it- they understand not everyone has that kind of money to pay right away.
    DSCN3691-1

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Just to be clear because someone said they should have told me this upfront. They did let me know from the start that I would have to pay my deductible.  This is the thing where I guess it could have been a misunderstanding on my part is I was told they weren't bill insurance until after pregnancy, which I know is pretty standard.  So I have been making payments at every visit and have paid out like 1500.  I was under the assumption that since they weren't billing insurance, it was sort of like I was building up a credit for when they do bill.  I"m thinking I'm paying in advance.  Now, I was told that no, those payments would now apply to services rendered in 2010 and not be held for 2011.  That's what I thought was going on.  I'm just upset now that they would expect me to have $5000 in such a very short amount of time.  Maybe it's my own fault.
  • Options
    Just to be clear because someone said they should have told me this upfront. They did let me know from the start that I would have to pay my deductible.  This is the thing where I guess it could have been a misunderstanding on my part is that I was told they weren't billing insurance until after pregnancy, which I know is pretty standard.  So I have been making payments at every visit and have paid out like 1500.  I was under the assumption that since they weren't billing insurance, it was sort of like I was building up a credit for when they do bill.  I"m thinking I'm paying in advance.  Now, I was told that no, those payments would now apply to services rendered in 2010 and not be held for 2011.  That's what I thought was going on.  I'm just upset now that they would expect me to have $5000 in such a very short amount of time.  Maybe it's my own fault.
  • Options

I paid my deductible right away. My doctor sends in a pre-determination for every new pregnant patient so the patient can see what they will be responsible for (deductibles, co-pays, non covered items, etc) in the event of a vaginal delivery vs a c-section delivery. It's nice to see up front what you'll have to pay and not be shocked by a huge hospital bill.

The doctor's office can bill you up front, but they're usually willing to set up a payment plan.

• Options

No, I had surgery with the same OB in june and was billed by the hospital. I am assuming it will work the same way for birth since they havent said anything yet. Also we had to make a payment plan for deductible for the surgery and will have to make one for the birth as well. They are very high and with our budget we cant afford one big payment.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"