Houston Babies

HELP...if your toddler has a special blanket/stuffed animal

The past few days, F has been rejecting her "bear friend".  She says "Take him away" and throws him out of her crib, then she screams because she wants bear friend back.  Rinse and repeat and repeat and repeat.

She is currently upstairs screaming for bear friend, then
I give him to her and she says "out", then tosses him.

UGH

Anyone been through this?  Any advice?

Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
So Tasty, So Yummy

Re: HELP...if your toddler has a special blanket/stuffed animal

• Looks like she knows she will get you up there if she wants the bear.  I would get it once, then tell her if she does it again, then she has lost the bear - and don't go back, even if she tossed him again and is crying for him.  It's mean, but gets the point across.  See if that will stop her behavior.
  • I hear "UH OH puppy!" over the monitor and I know he has been tossed out. I'll usually go back and put him in once if she cries for it, but that's it. Most of the time I go in and everything has been tossed out, but she doesn't complain. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have let her go without bear friend after she drops him, I will just continue doing that until this corrects itself.  Ugh. 
    Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • After one retrieval I would just talk to bear "poor bear. you need a good nap. here you can go take your nap over here so you don't get thrown out of the crib." tuck bear in and see how it goes.
    - Jena
  • Amelia has done it and it was an annoying phase.  She was allowed to drop it 3 times, after that she went to bed without her lovie.  The phase didn't last long after she realized that she was going to lose her "friends."
  • YES.  I agree, it's one of the most annoying phases ever. 

They have both been allowed one retrieval and then bear stayed.  There was much crying but it only took 1-2 times.  Or 3-4, depending on the child...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes.

It is hard because your sweetness has a whole new awareness, including manipulating you and testing boundaries.

I try to only play games like I-Want-I-Don't-Want for two rounds. Then, I stop. Sure, it makes him upset, but he's upset either way.

It is hard, though. I still shudder at the hour-long version we experienced on vacation. The guy working a nearby gave Lucas a toy in a pointless attempt to make him happy.

It gets better...they get smarter and better able to control their impulses. 

• imageKelleyA:
    Amelia has done it and it was an annoying phase.  She was allowed to drop it 3 times, after that she went to bed without her lovie.  The phase didn't last long after she realized that she was going to lose her "friends."

this...and if the crying goes to another extreme...then I threaten to throw the bear in the trash. I'm mean like that.

Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"