Texas Babies
Options

Classes?

I'm new to San Antonio and I was wondering if there are any classes we can take here? Such as breastfeeding, baby safety, mommy and daddy classes? This is my first pregnancy and I want all the information I can get!

Thank you!!

Re: Classes?

• Options

https://mhshealth.netreturns.biz/Events/Detail.aspx?EventID=e668faf9-6327-47b6-92a9-a56a9d66fb78

Methodist Hospital has tons of classes, even some just for dad. Actually, I think all of the hospital offer some.  They have a great lactation center that will help you with breastfeeding info.  

Destination maternity also offers classes, including yoga I think it is free of charge there.  Check their website.

Also, check some of the local Doula's (search online) they offer private classes.

Good luck and enjoy the ride, it will fly by!

Years of trying and treatment, IVF#1 brought us our darling C!
  • Options
    Where are you going to deliver at?  Methodist has a lot of classes and a WONDERFUL lactation center.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We delivered at Northeast Baptist and they have all of those classes. Everything is pretty much free, 2 other classes that I really enjoyed were Pets and Babies taught at North Central Baptist and Sons to Dads for New dads. All great classes.

THe pet class does cost $5.

• Options
    Great! I'll look into those. Do you happen to know if you have to be delivering in those hospitals to take the classes? I haven't had my 1st appt yet (I go on the 20th) so I dont know where my Dr. delivers.
  • Options

They "recommend" taking the birthing classes where you think you will deliver only because they tour the rooms and L&D.  It usually says the class is free if you are delivering there, but I don't think that they will come after you if you don't.  I took my childbirth class at the place that had the time that worked for us. We set up a separate tour at the hospital where I delivered.  If you are wanting something special like a Lamaze or the Bradley method class, you will have to pay for those.  A lot of Doulas and midwives offer those classes, you can google to find a certified teacher for one of those. 

As for the other classes, parenting, car seat, new dad... I think there may be a small charge and it is open to the entire community.  Babies R Us has classes on pumping/breastfeeding, car seat, and baby gear once a quarter.  They are free and they give out coupons for BRU.  I went to the breastfeeding one, it was sponsored by Medella, I did learn a ton about pumps, but not much about breastfeeding.   I would recommend meeting with the lactation consultants at the hospital for a class like that.  They offer those as a community service as well. 

Here is a link to a listing of a TON of classes (most free) including CPR

https://sanantonio.parenthood.com/SA_parent_ed.php

You don't take the child birth class until you are around 30+ weeks along.  You can start taking pre-natal yoga at the end of your first trimester (most places) if your doctor clears you.  Also, check with the pediatricians around San Antonio.  A lot of them offer new born classes for free.  They are the best resource because they know what new parents call about most frequently. 

Years of trying and treatment, IVF#1 brought us our darling C!
  • Options
    Destination Maternity often offers a lot of free classes, I loved their yoga classes.  If you're interested in Breastfeeding you can look into La Leche League meetings and attend those while pregnant and afterwards.
  • Options
    yes, st lukes offers tons of classes as well. im thinking all hospitals do as matter of fact but yes i head destination maternity does as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"