Baby Names

sophie or sofie (sophia or sofia)

which is more common and/or which is standard. I love the name but I am not sure which spelling is correct. I am not a fan of people making up their own spelllings for names. I prefer to go with the proper spelling.

Thanks!

Re: sophie or sofie (sophia or sofia)

• Sophie and Sophia are the more traditional spellings around here. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sophia is, I believe, the original name (it's the Greek version). Sofia is the Italian varient. Sophie is French.

I vastly prefer Sophia. Sophie/Sofie make cute NNs, but not full names IMO.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Sophie/ia is all I have ever seen. Sofie/ia makes me things of a sofa so I am not sure I care for the 'f'.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i like Sophie - Sofie looks too short and awkward

Sophia is adorable! but she will probably be called Sophie most of the time...my cousin is

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I recently read on a baby name website that having an "A" sound at the end of a name is slowly, but surely becoming unpopular & was just a trend. So, many people will be naming their daughters Olive instead of Olivia ... Sophie instead of Sophia & so on. I'm not sure how true this is ... or if it really answers your question, but I thought I'd share anyway ;)
  • imagedougsbestgirl:
    Sophie and Sophia are the more traditional spellings around here. 

This this this! I HATE when people spell names differently just to be cool

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Both are traditional- just from different counties. While both spellings make the top 50, Sophia is far more common. I really prefer Sofia, and often wished I'd used that spelling. We went for Sophia because we knew she was going to also go by Sophie and Sofie looks a little strange to me.
  • They're both totally normal. It's not the difference between Alexis and Alexys. Just ethnic background difference. I prefer Sofia but I'm Italian. I'll be fighting to keep some of that going in the names with my PA dutch husband. . . I really like the name though.
  • Depends on your background. Sofia is more common in some languages, but the "ph" is more common in English. I would be inclined to think a Sofia was either Hispanic or from some other immigrant group, so if this description doesn't fit you, you might want to stick with Sophia.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemelissa.1985:

imagedougsbestgirl:
    Sophie and Sophia are the more traditional spellings around here. 

This this this! I HATE when people spell names differently just to be cool

FYI The 'f' spelling is not always just to be "cool". It's a legit cultural variation.

I prefer the ph obviously, that's what we went for my DD. Her name is Sophia and we use Sophie as a nn. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Like the others said its just a variation in languages.

To be tricky i like Sofia over Sophia, but Sophie over Sofie.

• my grandma was born in Eastern Europe and her name was Sofie (spelled that way).   so if we use it, we will also use that spelling.

I had posted before about Sofie and most responders like Sophia better.

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think Sophia is more traditional, personally I like Sofia.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"