Success after IF
Options

I need help naming this baby

Our frontrunner for baby girl's name is Eleanor. It's the name we had picked out with Henry and DH is completely, 100% sold on it. I'm having some reseravations. 

The two biggest: 1) I don't want to use any of the common nicknames for Eleanor i.e. Ella, Ellie, etc-- and I'm afraid that everyone is going to try to shorten it, and 2) our last name is a very traditional English name which is three syllables (some of you know it, but if you don't, think Winchester), and I'm afraid two three syllable names together is just too much.

So I'm looking for opinions on whether you think this full name (middle name would be Ann) would be too much of a mouthful.

Re: I need help naming this baby

• Options
    I love it! It was on our short list. And I think it goes with your DS name perfectly!
  • Options
    I'm not a huge fan of the name Eleanor but it is definitely back "in" as a popular nice name.  I am not knocking your choice though- I just wanted to tell you that I went through the same dilemma about 3 syllable first/last names.  We named our daughter Allison and our last name has 3 syllables too.  I was also afraid it was too long.  We loved the name and in the end thought that was the most important thing.  Plus, at some point she'll get married and probably change her last name anyway!
    3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I grew up with a three-syllable first name and a three-syllable last name, and it never seemed like too much. You just have to say it out loud a few times to see if it flows -- that's the important thing.

As for a nickname, can you push Nora?

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Not a mouthful at all.

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I love it. I think Eleanor and Henry are two nice old fashioned names. And if you have a traditional english last name, it is a perfect match. If you don't want people nicknaming her, just always call her by her full name. People will get the hint I think.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I like it and it is actually on our short list. We would use the nickname Nora or Ele
    2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    LOVE Eleanor - you could always call her Rory for short :)
  • Options

It will get shortened.

Without a doubt.

If you can't find a nick name you're comfortable with I'd try something else.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options

I love Eleanor. I don't think the full name is a mouthful at all. But that's coming from a mom with an Elizabeth (no nicknames)!  So far I've found that as long as you start out calling her by the full name, most people will follow along.

We do still get a lot of questions about "but what do you call her" and we just say Elizabeth, that's her name. :) I'm sure she'll get a nickname in school, and that's fine, but she'll likely always be Elizabeth to us.

After 20 months, 3 Clomid cycles and 4 IUI cycles, IVF #1 with ICSI = BFP!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I love it. I think it would sound very proper with how you're describing your last name. I also think whatever you call her is what other people will, it's up to family to give a nickname.

With that said, we wanted to name DD Eloise, but had the same reservation about the nicknames, so that is now her middle name.

• Options

I love Eleanor and it spent some time on our list. It's awesome with Henry.

I'd just call her by her full name, people will get the hint. 

imageimage

• Options
    I think Eleanor definitely fits with your last name and Henry!  I wouldn't worry about the multiple syllables...I would, however, worry about what nickname you will like eventually...its pretty much inevitable in my experience...DS has a one syllable name and people asked what we were calling him...Huh?
  • Options
    I love Eleanor. It isn't too much of a mouthful. I had/have a pretty long name though with lots of syllables. You will probably have issues with people shortening it though, even if you don't.
    Henry and Papa at the farm
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I love the name Eleanor and don't think it's too much at all with a three syllable last name.  As for nicknames, I'm of the opinion that people will nickname a name no matter what and it's rather unavoidable, so if this is really going to bug you, you'll have to move on.  FWIW, I know some Eleanors who are nicknamed Nora.
  • Options
    imagehowleyshell:

It will get shortened.

Without a doubt.

If you can't find a nick name you're comfortable with I'd try something else.

I agree with this.  I think it's a lovely name, but people will most likely call her "El" or "Ellie" unless you pick another nickname and stick with it.  (I vote for Nora, for obvious reasons.  Stick out tongue)

My sister's name is Bethany and even though she refers to herself by her full name and our whole family calls her by her full name, just about everyone else in the world calls her "Beth."

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

• Options

BEAUTIFUL name! love it!

my sister has a 3 syllable name and nobody ever shortened it. yes, she had a couple of friends in high school call her by a nickname but she always went by her given name. you can indeed get through life without a "condensed version." go for it!

2 infertiles' journey to 2 pink lines (and a baby girl)
    "our IF story"
  • Options
    I love Eleanor, I don't think you have to worry about it getting shortened.  Maybe a few people in her life, but highly doubt everyone will start calling her something other than what you call her (and how she refers to herself).  I agree that Nora is a nice nickname for Eleanor, if it comes down to nicknames.  Cal was going to be Nora if he was a girl.
    Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ok I LOVE it!  Esp with Ann as the middle name!  Sounds great together!  I would not worry about ppl shortening it b/c if you don't then no one else will. 
  • Options
    I also loved It! It was on my short list if we had/have a girl. But I then found out that my dad did love it cause it was the name of my grandpas (moms dad) gf. He and my grandma never got "divorced" he just had a gf.. Anyway, I still love it! I also love Rory for short. My SIL name is Rory and I love it!!
  • Options
    I love the name!  We have a 3 syllable, unusual German last name.  Both or our kids have 3 syllable first names.  Granted, we use 1 and 2 syllable nicknames, but still... I don't think their 1st names are too much with our last name.  As for shortening, correct people when they shorten.  We told people what DS's name was and the "acceptable" nickname.  If anyone added the -y, we corrected right then and there - drs, nurses, my ILs - I didn't care.  When she enters school, you get to dictate what the teachers call her.  Her friends are the only ones you can't really control.  I say go for it!  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"