Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Clicky poll- "$50 limit"

Help settle a debate.
[Poll]

Re: Clicky poll- "$50 limit"

• Options
    Oops, I hit the wrong button.  I meant to hit, no more than $50.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagegrapeape73:

haha I just said to myself, who thinks that? I'm glad it was an oops...

but really to the OP who thinks that means you have to spend 50 exactly?

It's like the speed limit it is legal to go at or below it but not above it, kwim?

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I want to clarify my vote by adding:

If I was in a gift exchange with a $50 limit, I would try to spend as close to $50 as I felt comfortable doing. Being partnered up with someone who spends $12 in a gift exchange where the majority of the people will be spending up to (or, quite likely, around) $50 is pretty sh!tty, IMO.

Jack Anderson 2.28.10 Our amazing little man. image
  • Options
    Imo you should get as close to 50 as you can. For this reason I vote exactly 50.
  • Options
    imageCTri17:

imagegrapeape73:

haha I just said to myself, who thinks that? I'm glad it was an oops...

but really to the OP who thinks that means you have to spend 50 exactly?

It's like the speed limit it is legal to go at or below it but not above it, kwim?

I'm trying to prove to someone that if the limit is $50 but you bought a gift that cost $45 you've done nothing wrong.

I tried to explain using the example that if an elevator has a weight limit of 400 pounds, that doesn't mean that you have to have 400 pounds in the elevator to make it work. It means that you can't have OVER 400 pounds. 

• Options
    imageQue_Syrah:
    I'm trying to prove to someone that if the limit is $50 but you bought a gift that cost $45 you've done nothing wrong.

I tried to explain using the example that if an elevator has a weight limit of 400 pounds, that doesn't mean that you have to have 400 pounds in the elevator to make it work. It means that you can't have OVER 400 pounds. 

IMO, not that it matters all that much, there's nothing wrong with this scenario at all. If there were a great deal of difference between the limit and the amount spent (like, say, more than half the limit itself) I'd give it the side-eye. However, it's $5 difference. Not a big deal.

In the same vein, I wouldn't consider it a big deal to spend $55 on a gift exchange with a $50 limit. Is it over the limit? Sure. But does $5 matter that much? They probably won't even notice it.

*I want to add that by putting a dollar amount on said gift exchange item, I am referring to value. If you are a knitter and knit a beautiful scarf that you feel is an appropriate addition to your gift exchange, I think that's lovely, and definitely has value. :)

Jack Anderson 2.28.10 Our amazing little man. image
  • Options

dh and I agreed on this last Christmas... he came home w/ a Toyota Highlander...  so whatever the limit- make sure they mean it! :-)

of course I'm very happy he didn't stick to that limit!

• Options

I would be pissed if the limit was $50 and I bought a gift for my person that was valued at $45 and got something valued at $20. 

SO, I think there should have been one more option.  You should spend close to the limit but not over.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    imagediana.filipi:

I would be pissed if the limit was $50 and I bought a gift for my person that was valued at $45 and got something valued at $20. 

SO, I think there should have been one more option.  You should spend close to the limit but not over.

what if...and this was the issue....the item is valued at around $50 but the person paid $30 on sale.

I feel like if someone hits a sale and saves money, more power to them.

• Options

imagesleepingbeauty825:
    Imo you should get as close to 50 as you can. For this reason I vote exactly 50.

This!

"Love is what makes pain bearable." - I love you my Angels. 
    **All After a Loss Welcome**
    BFP #1: 6/25/09 EDD 2/13/10 @ 6 weeks- Saw HB @ 9 weeks - DS born 2/11/10 (39w5d)
    BFP #2: 2/20/13 EDD 11/4/13 - Saw HB 3/19/13 (7w2d) - MMC discovered 4/13/13 (10w5d) - Est. loss @ 9w3d - D&C 4/14/13
    BFP #3: 12/19/13 (4 w1d) EDD 8/27/14 - 1/1/14 discovered it was ectopic/ tube had burst/ had surgery to remove tube (@ 6 weeks)
    BFP #4: 9/10/14 (3w6d) EDD 5/21/15 - natural MC 9/23/14 @ 5w5d
    BFP #5: 11/23/14 (3w3d) EDD 8/4/15 - Please be our Rainbow!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

imagesleepingbeauty825:

This - I usually end up going over.  I am part of a gift exchange that is a $15 limit and I spent $19 and Dh and I are both part of one that is $20 and I spent about $55 total for both of us (this one is family and most of us go over the limit anyways).

• Options
    imageNastyAnnie:
    imageQue_Syrah:

IMO, not that it matters all that much, there's nothing wrong with this scenario at all. If there were a great deal of difference between the limit and the amount spent (like, say, more than half the limit itself) I'd give it the side-eye. However, it's $5 difference. Not a big deal.

In the same vein, I wouldn't consider it a big deal to spend $55 on a gift exchange with a $50 limit. Is it over the limit? Sure. But does $5 matter that much? They probably won't even notice it.

*I want to add that by putting a dollar amount on said gift exchange item, I am referring to value. If you are a knitter and knit a beautiful scarf that you feel is an appropriate addition to your gift exchange, I think that's lovely, and definitely has value. :)

I think that the only way that $45 would matter was if you were buying a gift card (or giving cash).  $45 GC would make someone look cheap/just plain weird in a $50 exchange.

I think that if the limit is $50 than the gift value should be close to $50, regardless of how much you actually paid for it.

• Options
    imageQue_Syrah:
    imagediana.filipi:

what if...and this was the issue....the item is valued at around $50 but the person paid $30 on sale.

I feel like if someone hits a sale and saves money, more power to them.

If the person found something on sale, then more power to them is right.  They don't have to go out and top up to $50 if the gifts value is already $50.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"