Northern California Babies
Options

OK...talk to me about versions

I've been doing some research and while it still scares me, I'm willing to entertain the idea.  We have another appt on Monday and want to go in with a fairly firm decision because I know she's going to want to schedule it if we decide to go through with it.  If you had one, please tell me your experience and if you opted out of it, please share your reasons why. 

BTW, I have a call into a family friend who is a chiro and I should hear from him tomorrow.  I just know we're getting down to the wire and I'd like to "have all my ducks" in a row as best possible!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: OK...talk to me about versions

• Options

We didn't get to the point of needing a version, because the acupuncture worked for us (seriously, try it!), but I talked to Ceyln and Ariel about versions before and they both really helped me be comfortable with our decision to try it if it became necessary.  Hopefully they'll be on tonight and can help! 

Again though- acupuncture/moxibustion- my insurance covered it and it was easy- its a smudge stick heating up your pinky toe- and baby went nuts rolling around!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebunch:

We didn't get to the point of needing a version, because the acupuncture worked for us (seriously, try it!), but I talked to Ceyln and Ariel about versions before and they both really helped me be comfortable with our decision to try it if it became necessary.  Hopefully they'll be on tonight and can help! 

Again though- acupuncture/moxibustion- my insurance covered it and it was easy- its a smudge stick heating up your pinky toe- and baby went nuts rolling around!

When did you do your acupuncture? I'm looking into this also...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I went in to have one with my son and found out my fluid level was too low to do it.  Actually the doctor told me I was going to have to have him that day, but luckily, after some IV fluid, my level went back up into low normal.  Looking back I am glad it didn't work out.

It is obviously your decision, but I believe the baby is probably breech for a reason (I had two breech babies) and c-sections are not that bad.

• Options
    I had one at 36 weeks. I did a ton of research, talked to the nurse who helps preform them and then decided to go through with it. It went well but did hurt a little. It was more preasure than pain but still something for you to know. I am not sure what else you want to know. Feel free to ask me anything.
  • Options
    imagekittylove:
    I had one at 36 weeks. I did a ton of research, talked to the nurse who helps preform them and then decided to go through with it. It went well but did hurt a little. It was more preasure than pain but still something for you to know. I am not sure what else you want to know. Feel free to ask me anything.
    Was your successful? Did you try anything else before? How big was your baby? Umm...I think that's all I can think of for now!
  • Options
    Duplicate post!
  • Options

I had a version with my first. I agree with Ariel that it didn't really hurt that bad, but there was LOTS of pressure. 

They were able to turn him around for about 5 seconds and when they let go he flipped back into breech position. They scheduled me for a c-section around 39 weeks. Come to find out the cord was wrapped around his neck a few times. I don't think he was able to turn around because of the cord. The c-section was not that bad.

I went on to have a VBAC with my second and plan on another VBAC with my third. If I was to have another breech baby, I would attempt a version. I am of the opinion that I would prefer as few surgeries as possible.

Good luck with your decision!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Mine was successful. He turned the first "try" durring the version, they will try 3 times at our Dr office. We tried just about everything, acupressure, summersaults in the water/pool, hanging upside down 3 times a day, everything on the spining babies website and the exersizes my Dr gave us. He would try to turn but couldn't on his own. The u/s on the day of my version said he was 6lbs 12oz and that would be about correct, he was born 2 days later at 6lbs 13oz. Riley tolerated the whole thing really well. I would say I wouldn't do it if it wasn't done in the hospital. I needed to know we could get him out ASAP if he didn't like what was going on. I also wanted constant monetering. Both of these things help safegaurd the child in case they don't tolerate the procedure. However that happens in less than 1% of cases! Good luck! I am here if you have more questions.

• Options
    Most of the time there's no obvious reason for why a baby is breech after 36 weeks.  Sometimes it's a weak uterus, fibroids, or placenta previa.  Recent studies on versions done after 37 weeks show them being successful about 60-65% of the time with a 6-7% reversion rate -- smaller babies tend to revert more than bigger ones (hence an 80% pre-term success rate, with a 16% reversion rate).  The chance of the version leading to c-section is pretty small - about 17%.  Chiro and acupuncture/moxi have higher success rates and no risk of c-section, so I usually suggest those as the first options. 
  • Options
    We started the acupuncture around 36 weeks- though I can't remember now.  By the time I went in 3 days later for a followup- he was turned!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I went in for a version, but was never 100% sure that I would go through with it.  They did a pretty extensive u/s - measuring baby, fluid, etc. and they estimated the baby to be 8lbs 2oz+/- (he was 8lbs 10oz at birth) and found he was pretty far down in my pelvis.  They gave me a 50% chance of the version working.  The odds weren't super low, but it was low enough for me to opt out of it.

• Options

I know someone on the board had a version and still ended up with a c-section (which I guess happens sometimes)...I thought it was Kittylove, but I could be wrong.  Hopefull whoever it was (my memory isn't great these days) will speak up and give you their opinion too...so you can get an idea of the pros and cons.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

• Options
    imagedanandkelly:

I know someone on the board had a version and still ended up with a c-section (which I guess happens sometimes)...I thought it was Kittylove, but I could be wrong.  Hopefull whoever it was (my memory isn't great these days) will speak up and give you their opinion too...so you can get an idea of the pros and cons.

Kelly is right about me ending up with a c-section. My water broke 16 hours after the version and my body failed to progress (stuck at 4 cm) after 24 hours of labor. Basicly I arrived at the hospital at just under 4cm and after 24 hours of pitocin had zero progress. I was 36 weeks and I truely believe my body thought he wasn't ready to come out yet. But we were running against a clock since my water had broke so not comming out wasn't an option and thus I chose the c-section, (other option was 12 more hours of pitocin, but I had quad peaking contractions).

That said I would do a version in a heartbeat again, for the chance of a vaginal birth.

• Options
    imagedanandkelly:

Kelly is right about me ending up with a c-section. My water broke 16 hours after the version and my body failed to progress (stuck at 4 cm) after 24 hours of labor. Basicly I arrived at the hospital at just under 4cm and after 24 hours of pitocin had zero progress. I was 36 weeks and I truely believe my body thought he wasn't ready to come out yet. But we were running against a clock since my water had broke so not comming out wasn't an option and thus I chose the c-section, (other option was 12 more hours of pitocin, but I had quad peaking contractions).

That said I would do a version in a heartbeat again, for the chance of a vaginal birth.

• Options
    Thank you ladies so much for all your information.  We have another appointment on Monday and plan to talk to the dr extensively about the version.  We are leaning toward giving it a shot, but obviously want to know how big he is and how much fluid is in there, etc. before we make a final decision.  If the odds are against us, we'll stick with the scheduled c-section and keep doing what we're doing with the spinningbabies techniques.  DH isn't on board with the acupuncture so that's on hold for now. Again, thank you all so much for sharing your experiences and perspectvies. 
  • Options

hey - super late in reply on this, not sure if you'll get it, but anyway I tried everything and none of it worked, including the version, but I would do it all again for that chance of having a vaginal birth, no question. 

As for the version itself, I had heard mixed things about it but honestly the worst part for me was that it didn't work and knowing that was my last 'chance' for a vaginal birth.  The doctor tried it three times, it was all done in the hospital, etc...  basically they hook you up to hear the heatbeat and do an u/s to determine the position of the baby, and then they literally manhandle your belly and try to rotate the baby from the outside.  that's the best way I can describe it.  They gave me an injection of some kind of relaxant (muscle) so that it would help, supposedly.  That was optional.  Of course, all of it was optional.  They give you the opportunity to opt out at any time.  It didn't hurt per se, but felt uncomfortable, obviously. I had been really hopeful that he would turn during the version bc of the estimated weight of P being rather low (under 6lbs) and they said the likelihood was slightly higher because he was smaller.  but really the standard % is 60% like celyn said... which is pretty much 50/50 in my opinion. 

Later after my c/s my OB said there  was no way P would have been able to turn, version or no, something about the shape of my uterus. 

Anyhoo - hope this is helpful,  feel free to page me or whatever if you have further questions and good luck with your decision!!!  

"Oh come on Gromit, a bit more, you know... alluring!!" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"